WHAT!!?? HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE POLLED!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

lilfarmangel

Reaction score
Ok, here's one I didn't expect! I have a Jersey/Black Angus cross steer, aprox 22 months old. I noticed a knob off the side of the bump where horns would have grown had he not been an Angus cross. Only on one side, and it's small.
I had the opportunity yesterday to mess with it and it is definitely a horn, BUT it is not attached to the bone.
WHAT THE HECK?? Can someone give me more information on this?

lilfarmangel":2qbvc7ns said:
Ok, here's one I didn't expect! I have a Jersey/Black Angus cross steer, aprox 22 months old. I noticed a knob off the side of the bump where horns would have grown had he not been an Angus cross. Only on one side, and it's small.
I had the opportunity yesterday to mess with it and it is definitely a horn, BUT it is not attached to the bone.
WHAT THE HECK?? Can someone give me more information on this?
It's a scur, they aren;t attached to the skull

Thanks for the info, Dun.. I thought scurs were the result of bad de-horning...
(also... Thank you for staying on topic!)

lilfarmangel":3pwwai21 said:
Thanks for the info, Dun.. I thought scurs were the result of bad de-horning...
(also... Thank you for staying on topic!)
Scurs and horns are 2 different genes, a bad dehorning leaves strangish looking growths that are usaully referrred to as scurs but aren't. Just the looks of the horn/scur tissue will tell you if it's a real scur or a botched job.

I seemed to rub you wrong by getting off topic and asking why you have a 22 month old steer, no offense meant, my neighbor has a longhorn steer about 10 years old, one of the biggest with the longest horns I have ever seen, I knew one guy that kept a steer because he grew so fast and large he was an oddity, I thought maybe he had a special trait that caused you to keep him. :wave:

cowboy43":3db2pgzi said:
I seemed to rub you wrong by getting off topic and asking why you have a 22 month old steer, no offense meant, my neighbor has a longhorn steer about 10 years old, one of the biggest with the longest horns I have ever seen, I knew one guy that kept a steer because he grew so fast and large he was an oddity, I thought maybe he had a special trait that caused you to keep him. :wave:
at this point it can only be under the hide :cowboy:

Latest posts