What Happened? ? ?

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
What happened to this little guy? He looks like a bottle calf -I mean with the pot-belly and all

brenham_cows_104.jpg

Most likely his dam isn't the best milker and he had to start depending more on what he can eat himself. Looking at his coat, it wouldn't hurt to give him an Ivomec injection and something for milk tapeworm. I would use Lintex, but not sure if you have it there.

oK- that makes sense - not good milk production.....his mother is a 1st timer and was "falling off" trying to raise this calf......but she is gaining back again..........

could be 2 things.his momma is a low milk producer or the calf needs worming.id prolly cull the cow.an put the calf on feed an grass an worm him good.

This post makes me think...................We have a bull calf that was born to a first calf former show heifer. The calf looked great for the first few months (I thought maybe he would be a keeper). The heifer was a poor milk producer. We weaned the bull calf early, put him on creep and pasture. He has a huge "grass belly". Will he outgrow that? Will he catch back up?
Thanks,
UncleLA

UncleLA":u777gz7y said:
This post makes me think...................We have a bull calf that was born to a first calf former show heifer. The calf looked great for the first few months (I thought maybe he would be a keeper). The heifer was a poor milk producer. We weaned the bull calf early, put him on creep and pasture. He has a huge "grass belly". Will he outgrow that? Will he catch back up?
Thanks,
UncleLA

Yes, he will eventually catch up and grow into his hay belly.

Latest posts