What happened to Spring?

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Where did Spring go- what happened to our bare ground?
Last night we got hit with a mini-blizzard-- 15-20 ENE winds, 3 inches of snow, and temps dropping to 15... For awhile it was not a fit night for man or beast- especially new baby beasts...

Calves came thru fine.. They curled up in any hole or behind any windbreak they could find- but this morning were looking for a dry place to take a nap..

After I rolled some straw out- a few headed for a padded bed...

This is the last one born last night. Momma buried it in some straw for the night behind a windbreak- and this morning it found some dry hay to burrow into... Them little angus are tough... I watched this one being born- and before she was even on her feet she was reaching for a milk faucet...

Great photos... And as they say.. its just around the corner.. which one? who knows? I am sure your corner up there is a bit further away than ours down here.

Nice looking cows and calves. Maybe spring will be your way before long looks like it might finally be here been nice for a few days and the extend forcast looks good.

Spring hasn't even started UP this way. First cows are due next week and there is still 3-5 feet of white stuff on the ground and got 8" more last night.

Looked like that here this morning. We didn't get as much wind or cold though. The sun came out this afternoon so it's not bad out at all.

Tomorrow might get into 40s so this snow should be about melted off in time to get the next batch on Monday. :p

John SD":3frzymnn said:
Looked like that here this morning. We didn't get as much wind or cold though. The sun came out this afternoon so it's not bad out at all.

Tomorrow might get into 40s so this snow should be about melted off in time to get the next batch on Monday. :p

Yep the sun came out here about 10AM and by noon it was 34 and the snow began disappearing... Predicted 50's tomorrow... I may be happier than these calves if the weather turns nice- as this warm, then cold, then warm, then back to cold pattern has me pretty stove up from my arthritis....

Just dodged a golf ball++ size hail storm here. Others nearby got pounded. That stuff sure is hard on things. Neat pictures you posted.

TexasBred":9g9oemcn said:
A bit early OT. I thought spring started in Montana somewhere around July 4th. :lol:

You're about right... Old cowboy axiom "You don't take off the long handled underwear til the 4th of July- and you put them back on by Labor Day"... ;-)

One night when I was living over on the Gallatin- on the night of the 4th of July I ran into a snowstorm at the base of Lone Mountain... I thought it was the 2nd coming of Christ and Judgement Day for sure... It was a regular thunderstorm with wind, lightning, thunder, and instead of rain it was snow.... It was a black black night- and when it would lighting thru the snowstorm it was the weirdest site I've seen...

OT, We had a pretty good storm rock through here Friday night / Saturday morning. It was last seen headed your way. It should arrive there soon.

SD DOT says no travel on I-90 from WY state line to Wall. No travel on SD 34. Sherrif says no travel in Pennington County SD. Mid morning weather report was about 15 degrees with 250' visibility, less in open areas.

I went out and drove the car bumper up against the quonset door that came unhooked on the end. Cats are fed. I'm not going out again today. 8)

I do feel for the folks who are calving/lambing in this. March is going out like a lion.

I know it won't make anyone feel any better but I am told that it snowed three inches in Roanoke Va yesterday....or the day before....thank goodness we just had rain here but we had a lot of rain and the ground is rotten....last year this time I was grazing....this year I am just dreaming of grazing.....I been stringing poly wire in the cold and the rain and the rotten ground....but no grass to graze yet...

John SD":12s8q3kf said:
SD DOT says no travel on I-90 from WY state line to Wall. No travel on SD 34. Sherrif says no travel in Pennington County SD. Mid morning weather report was about 15 degrees with 250' visibility, less in open areas.

I went out and drove the car bumper up against the quonset door that came unhooked on the end. Cats are fed. I'm not going out again today. 8)

I do feel for the folks who are calving/lambing in this. March is going out like a lion.

We got just the edge of this one... 20-30 mph wind- rain, then snain, then snow which created about 1/2 " covering of frozen crusty icy snow on everything... Quit snowing around midnite- and at the 4AM check the wind was dropping... Temp went down to 16...

Everything worked out well during the night with calves- and at about noon today the sun came out and the temp jumped to 34.. :D :banana: Calves stretched out everywhere sunning themselves...

I enjoy those pictures from Big Sky Country. We had snow here just 4 days ago but it did not stay on. I have put hay around some of my calves this winter. I had a calf born early Saturday morning just as TN TUX and I were getting to the farm. Later in the day it poured down. Then it got cold, the wind blew all night and it snowed. The calf was soaked and out in that all night. But when I got there Sunday morning the little heifer was up playing. I am amazed how tough these calves are.

Can you imagine getting soaking wet even with a warm coat, then laying out all night in a freezing rain? It would kill a human!

Made a trip to Rapid City today to visit a friend in the hospital. +7 degrees here this morning with a pretty good wind chill, but at least the sun was out.

Highways were ice packed but no problem as long as I paid attention to driving I could do the speed limit. Stopped in Sturgis for breakfast. Some pretty impressive snow piles there. Got to Rapid about 10 and it was snowing like the dickens with temps in high 20s.

Friend was on the 10th floor with a good view of the parking lot and nearby city sights. Hospital crew was still working on clearing walks and stairways.

They had a small diesel JD lawn tractor with a full cab on it (including beacon) Tractor had a blade on it and did a good job of cleaning off the couple inches of wet snow.

Went out to lunch with sister and BIL of my friend, then headed home. Roads pretty much melted off but were still wet. Doesn't sound like temps will get above 30 tomorrow either and a bit more snow on the way.

Latest posts