What happened to shorthorns?

Help Support CattleToday:

boone

Reaction score
I remember as a child seeing roan colored shorthorns all over the place. While it appears they are still popular in Canada, their appeal has obviously slipped in the U.S. What do you attribute this to? Boone

boone":n4jxqyzy said:
I remember as a child seeing roan colored shorthorns all over the place. While it appears they are still popular in Canada, their appeal has obviously slipped in the U.S. What do you attribute this to? Boone

The infusion of maine and chi to generate club calves!

dun

Dun is right on.

Shorthorns have many good traits that could be well utilized in commercial beef operations (marbling, mothering ability, etc.) but unfortunately the majority of Shorthorns producers today emphasize show ring traits (long hair, excessive thickness, and so on).

A few years ago the American Shorthorn Assn. hired a new executive director who has more of a commercial focus. I found it interesting that he recently quit to take a job in a lesser position with the Red Angus association. There is much speculation that he was frustrated with the the lack of enthusiasm of the Shorthorn breed leaders to implement more commercially oriented programs. Apparently many of the large breeders are enjoying the financial benefits of selling high dollar show animals and don't want to risk losing that market segment. Too bad...that likely sat the breed back for many more years of having any chance of being a major player in the commercial beef industry in North America.

my kids show in the open, 4-H and FFA shows in MN. The shorthorn breed is huge here. Everyone is showing them. So that is a good reason for us to stay away from them.

I know a rancher that is looking for a purebred breeder who raises shorties that are doing cattle not showring bred cattle.

I have never set foot on a purebred shorthorn operation in the U.S.A. but have heard through the grapevine that the people that are active in the association are more interested in showing than raising beef. This is 2nd hand information at best so take it for what it is worth. That being said I would find it hard to believe that every single person in the U.S.A. that breeds shorthorn cattle only cares about the showring. I would think that it may take some digging but a person should be able to find quality shorthorn cattle (or any breed for that matter) that will work in a crossbreeding program.

Here in Canada I do believe that there are shorthorn breeders (ourselves included) that focus on raising cattle that will thrive in our harsh climate and with minimal supervision. By far the majority of our bull customers are commercial cattlemen and really don't care what is popular in the showring.

I have never set foot on a purebred shorthorn operation in the U.S.A. but have heard through the grapevine that the people that are active in the association are more interested in showing than raising beef. This is 2nd hand information at best so take it for what it is worth. That being said I would find it hard to believe that every single person in the U.S.A. that breeds shorthorn cattle only cares about the showring. I would think that it may take some digging but a person should be able to find quality shorthorn cattle (or any breed for that matter) that will work in a crossbreeding program.

Here in Canada I do believe that there are shorthorn breeders (ourselves included) that focus on raising cattle that will thrive in our harsh climate and with minimal supervision. By far the majority of our bull customers are commercial cattlemen and really don't care what is popular in the showring.

I am going to be getting some shorthorns soon. We butchered two Shorthorn steers that I bought from Gary Kaper and the people that bought them are raving about the flavor and the tenderness. His are not xbred showring cattle though. We are buying a few heifers to add in with the Angus here.

That's one thing about Aussie Shorthorn breeders... we breed cattle that not only excel in the showring, but which can go staright out in the paddock and do the job. Our show cattle get no special treatment, and the buyers, mainly commercial blokes, know that our cattle do perform. Aussie show Shorthorns are paddock performing cattle too.
Our Shorthorns haven't been mucked around with by crossbreeding etc (which seems extremely prevalent in the States), and we have managed to maintain the productive, hardy animals that gve Shorties their name. Their adaptability to the many climates of Australia (and indeed the world) is right up there with the best of them.

I always like using the 5 M's when talking about our cattle...
Muscling Marbling Maternal Milk Marketability ;-)

Just a jaded opinion, but what people refer to as Shorthorns in the states are actually "club calves" not truly Shorthorns. There are breeders of the traditional beef Shorthorn, but by and large it seems that some of them have even succumbed to the lure of club calves. In the past couple of months we've looked at a number of prosective SHorthorn additions. One was a the MO SHorthorn association sale in Springfield. Even the yearlings were bigger then our mature cows. Looked ata friend of ours that was selling out his Shorthorns, no appendix breeding in them, they looked a whole lot more like milking Shorthorns then beef Shorthorns. When we unretired the last time, if we could have found good beef Shorthorns like we had back in the 70 or even the early 80s, we;ld have Shorthonrs now instead of Red Angus.

dun

Dun, the shorthorns of the 70s and 80s are exactly what I'm talking about. Supposing you did have a nice set of shorthorn mommas, what would be your preferred cross? Boone

boone":2c37q8w7 said:
Supposing you did have a nice set of shorthorn mommas, what would be your preferred cross? Boone

Depends on what you want out of them. If you're looking for good F1 replacements, I'd recommend Angus. I've got a whack of Angus/Shorty crosses here. Easy keeping cows and good growing calves. I've also got some Simm/Shorty cross cows here that are fantastic. High rates of gain, while still maintaining the feed efficiency that Shorthorns are known for. The Simm/Shorty cows aren't quite as easy keeping in the winter months, but they're still good.

For commercial calves, it would be tough to beat a Simm/Shorthorn cross calf (unless its a Simm/Shorty/Angus cross calf). Excellent growth, good feed conversion, good muscling and marbling.

Rod

boone":1m5di93q said:
Dun, the shorthorns of the 70s and 80s are exactly what I'm talking about. Supposing you did have a nice set of shorthorn mommas, what would be your preferred cross? Boone

Angus or Hereford but a lot of them straight back to Shorthorn. We used ANgus back when he had them. Maybe Gelbvieh to make crossbred momma cows and breed them to an angus. The Gelbvieh would only add muscle, sure wouldn;t want more milk or maternal then those old Shorthorn cows.
Since I haven't been able to locate any I haven;t really given it much thought in later years.

dun

We used a Shorthorn bull for 3 years in the early 90s. and kept the heifers for cows. They were some of the best cows we ever had. We now only have one cow left in the herd and none of the others cows can compare to her. I have bought 3 registered Shorthorns and plan to keep all the heifers to build up my herd. I will post some pictures once I take some and would like your opinions of them.

[/b]I am new to the Cattle Today forum. Have viewed board for a couple years, but decided to discuss the Shorthorn subject. Our family has raised Dual Purpose Milking Shorthorns since early 1900's. Always had both dairy and beef cows. 10 years ago went cow/calf, but never forget about milk and maternal traits. Have used several sons of popular A.I. sires. Have not used the "quote club sire type" :shock:
Yes, there are several Shorthorn breeders that have focused on the club calf steer. For the big payoff on that potential big money champion. But not all shorthorn breeders have that bug.

Many still breed for super momma cows,calving ease, mother ability & milk production which produces top weaning weights.
EPD's are very important. As well as carcass and tenderness data.

Yes, there are still some good Shorthorns out here. Just not as many herds as once was. Hopefully some other cattleman may like and find just what they need.

If the group would like to view our Nile Valley Farm photo page; below is a link it has some pics of history including a few recent from National Dual Show.
http://www.nilevalleyfarm.4t.com/about.html

roanbullmanhttp://www.nilevalleyfarm.4t.com/index.html

We have a few purebred Shorthorns.Mostly commercial. Have tried crosses. Next year will be Shorthorn-Red Angus if we can retain enough hiefers. The Simmi-Shorthorn is great for growth but the cows are too big for our grassfed operation.We have some Shorthorn daries in the area. I would like to try a Dairy Shorthorn bull on some beef cows. The Shorthorn marbles better on grass than any of the other breeds we had.

Latest posts