What grass is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
This stuff has been in the field for several years, but I don't know what it is. Does anyone here know what it's called? It's almost knee-high now.

DSCF6140_-_Copy.JPG

DSCF6144_-_Copy.JPG

I don't feel so bad now that 39 people have viewed and not been able to identify it. I figured it would be something as common as Fescue and I'd be embarrassed that I posted it.

I don't know what it is but is in all my fields also. Had a customer of mine that bought a bunch of sq bale horse hay that was full of it and the person who sold it to her told her it was barley. I tried really really hard not to laugh in front of her! Curious to see what it really is.

Batta Batta swing ..........

Kinda lookers like a ryegrass or wheatgrass. Can't say I've seen that particular grass around here.

Can't tell in the pics. Does it grow in a clump?

We call it Easter grass. Like many things, everybody probably has their on word for it. Like damp areas, and damp years especially.

Maybe barley grass is what they meant and that's really what it is. I just told her it wasn't barley and next time she needed hay get a few bales and I would be glad to look at them before she bought a whole load. $6.50 a bale and the horses wouldn't touch it.

No sure the proper name either but a sign that the ground has not been taken care of. There is a lot of it here this spring in some fields. I have fields across road from some and mine has none. Difference is mine has been heavily fetilized and the fields across road have not been fertilized in years.

How is it for hay? I hope good, because it's in our hay fields. We did fertilize and sew seed in the last year, but the fields hadn't been tended to much several years before.

herofan":3vph3e8t said:
How is it for hay? I hope good, because it's in our hay fields. We did fertilize and sew seed in the last year, but the fields hadn't been tended to much several years before.
The problem in using it for hay is that it is already past its prime. By the time I cut hay it is dead and nothing but filler. They wont lke it by then.

Latest posts