What Grass is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

SFFarms

Reaction score
Im cutting a 60a field for hay full of this purple grass and what i think is foxtail medow grass, what is this purple stuff? Is foxtail medow and this purple stuff any good for the cows for winter?

Purple_grass.jpg

Purple_grass_upclose.jpg

Thanks Always,

SFF

If I saw that grass in Texas- I would say it was Purple top-(Tridens flavus). Warm season grass. Good grazing for cattle. Some may mistake it for johnson grass. The Purple Top leaf does not have the white vein going through it like the johnson grass.

Grab the seed head and slide it through your hand. If it feels waxy/greasy it's grease grass. Some of the seed heads in the close up look like smart weed.

dun":j21qyte6 said:
Grab the seed head and slide it through your hand. If it feels waxy/greasy it's grease grass. Some of the seed heads in the close up look like smart weed.
Yep it's greasy thinks for the tip. :nod: I just finished one part of 30 acres covered in the stuff and some meadow foxtail grass i dont know if stuff is going to be nutritious but thats all i got for hay coming this fall i guess and i need every bit. :|

We call it buzzard grass or grease grass, poor mans blue stem. It is not real good hay beats a snow bank , but cattle will gain weigh in the fall in the pasture.

Latest posts