WHAT GRASS IS BEST

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I RECENTLY PURCHASED 14 ACRES AND ABOUT 2 ACRES ARE LOW LYING. I WANT TO BRING IN TOP SOIL AND THEN PLANT SOME GRASS OVER IT. WHAT WOULD BE GOOD TO KEEP EROSIN DOWN AND GRAZEABLE? TIFTON OR BREMUDA OR WHAT?

bermuda of some sort. we need more info about your location to pick a variety.

I'm outside of Houston TX,. My place has bahia on it and patches of Bermuda. there is a pond on the place next to mine which is where the water is coming from unto my land and it isn't moving. I figured I"d just put soil there and hope that it stop's the standing of the water.

Isn't it a bit spendy to "bring in top soil"? I my area top soil cost about $15 per cubic yard delivered. An acre inch of soil is 134 cubic yards. That would cost over $2000 per acre for the top soil plus the cost of spreading it. Wouldn't it be cheaper to work at building up the soil that is there through good management of your grass or just buy land with good soil already there?

Dave

cattleman":3gnihy9j said:
I'm outside of Houston TX,. My place has bahia on it and patches of Bermuda. there is a pond on the place next to mine which is where the water is coming from unto my land and it isn't moving. I figured I"d just put soil there and hope that it stop's the standing of the water.

if you have bahia, it's probably not worth your time, effort or money to try to get bermuda going unless you're planning to fight the bahia. bahia will take over bermuda in no time at all.

Where outside of Houston? I am in Crosby which is about 20 miles east of Houston. You can contact your local county extension agent and he will be able to help you.

Latest posts