What forage to plant?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ohrmundt Simmentals

Reaction score
So I thought might pick some brains for ideas. So I live in central Wisconsin raising beef. We seem to struggle sometimes to grow consistent good hay/forage. Our biggest issue is our soil is mostly sand and when I mean sand Imean a 20 acre field 40 years ago was a sand pit. We plant Alfalfa,OG,clover mix. Sometimes it works out for a couple of years and sometimes it doesn't. This is with fertilizer. It does seem like we can usually grow good corn. We usually grow a couple acres of sorghum-sudan for green chopping and that mostly turns out good. I've thought about growing more S&S or just sudangrass and bail some for hay. I know there is no silver bullet. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks

We have some lighter ground, and we have good luck with sorghum sudan grass. We usually chop/bag it, but might try baling it this year and wrapping it to make balage. It seems to handle dry conditions very well. I wonder how teff grass would do on that ground? Actually, doing some research, it seems to be a drought/desert grass, so maybe a good option? We are going to try some next year, would of this year. but the spring was too crazy here.
http://panhandle.unl.edu/c/document_library/get_file?folderId=481640&name=DLFE-7989.pdf

Jenna

Thanks Jenna,
I had seen a little about Teff a while back but didn't read too much into. It does look pretty interesting though. I know I want to try a little of something next summer. Maybe like just 5 acres or so.

Latest posts