What Feed For Old Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

A6gal

Reaction score
I have an old "grandma" cow that is smooth mouth and loosing condition. I know I should cull her, but can't. I have a sentimental connection to her. Several years ago I got careless when I was doing some separating and got between her and her calf and she back me up against a fence post looked me right between the eyes her face just a couple of inches from mine and turned and walked away. I thought I was a goner! She could have hurt me and didn't. So in turn I can't send her to the packing house.

My question is, what would be a good feed to put her on that would help her stay healthy?

She is on hay and grazing what little grass I have and has access to salt and loose mineral. I have noticed the other cows are pushing her away from the hay.

If you can seperate her and make her your pet. As they get older they can sometimes become the one everybody picks on. If her teeth are still solid feed her good hay and a little heavy grain. Have one now that has a torn leg muscle but a good blooded cow so she has her on spot of heaven. She just had her third calf in her little spot of heaven. So I consider it well worth the trouble.

ground corn or a pelleted type feed would be my suggestion.

The ground corn is almost like a powder, doesn't require chewing.

A6gal":1nyr7ftm said:
My question is, what would be a good feed to put her on that would help her stay healthy?

I'm never seen "senior" cattle feed, but there is feed especially formulated for older horses. I buy some "senior" feed for one of my arabians, and mix it with bran (almost in a powdery form). Do you have a place where you can separate her? That might do the best good of all. The senior horse feed and bran are NOT that expensive.

We all have our favorites, whether people want to admit it or not. I know I'm in trouble when my daughters give a cow a name...

The neighbor was having trouble with old cows a couple years ago. They wouldn't eat the core of the bale in the feeder. Had no teeth to grab the tighter packed hay to pull it out. If you grind hay, mix that in a ration with silage and some gluton or distillers to give her additional fat and protein.

my last granny cow i seperated and that way i could feed her more, she could take her time and eat. she was the boss cow, when i put her back a simmi cross cow, about middle of the pecking order, dethroned her and i was afraid would hurt her, it was a rough fight. i seperated her for good after that. i fed her 50/50 12% protein.

My old Beefmaster cross cow that's about to be 18 and is raising one heck of a good heifer has been put in with my weaned heifers. She can still stand her ground with them and she gets supplemental feeding of crushed ear corn and 13% beef pellets as well as all the hay she wants. I should have sold her a long time ago too but she'll die there. If you have a place that you can put her with some other calves or older cows would be best and make sure that she gets enough to eat.

I don't know any specific rations. I would say keep it simple. The older a cow gets the less of her feed she can digest. Make sure you keep the fiber reqirements for cows in check. i would not go over 12-13 % protein.

Scotty

A6, you might think about adding some soaked beet pulp to her feed. According to what I have read it appears to aid with the digestibility of feed, it's a good source of fiber, would be easy for her to chew, and, if our cows are any indication, tastes good. Just a suggestion.

i have an old cow that has a home till she passes on. no problems yet she stayes in good flesh year around.but here in south east missouri you can get rice brand and sense it is a by product of the cleaning process it is fairly cheep and cattle love it . it is like a powder and is 12%fat12%protein12%fiber we use it to fatten calves,horses will gain on it my dads coonhounds even get some with there dogfood :cboy:

A6gal":zkokqz0u said:
I have an old "grandma" cow that is smooth mouth and loosing condition. I know I should cull her, but can't. I have a sentimental connection to her. Several years ago I got careless when I was doing some separating and got between her and her calf and she back me up against a fence post looked me right between the eyes her face just a couple of inches from mine and turned and walked away. I thought I was a goner! She could have hurt me and didn't. So in turn I can't send her to the packing house.

She is on hay and grazing what little grass I have and has access to salt and loose mineral. I have noticed the other cows are pushing her away from the hay.

Just because the old cow didn't blow her nose on your pocket doesn't make her a good cow. It is about the calf they raise and are they efficient in the pasture on grass. Hell I have kept cows that would fight on less ground than you were born on but they raised a fine calf and didn't need a sack to stay fat.
You are not doing the old girl any favors if she can't maintain body condition on her own its time for the packing plant.

A6gal":355kx6y5 said:
I have an old "grandma" cow that is smooth mouth and loosing condition.

she back me up against a fence post looked me right between the eyes her face just a couple of inches from mine

She is on hay and grazing what little grass I have.

I have noticed the other cows are pushing her away from the hay.

You just gave 4 good reasons for sending her packing. One that can't hold her weight without special treatment will eat into your profits.

I too have gotten attached to a cow or two. The thought of doing right by them is normal. You need to take a real good look at her and ask yourself if keeping her IS doing right by her. When daily life becomes too much of a struggle for them, I think it is more humane to send them to the packer. Hard to do but sometimes it's for the better.

Ok guys, I have to comment on the comments on this thread. I fully realize that the name of the game as far as raising cattle is to turn a profit and raise quality cattle. I also fully realize that when a cow fails to perform or live up to the demands of her job she should be culled and given a one way ticket to town. But, I also realize that there are those animals that, for whatever reason, strike a cord in each and every one of us and are exempted from the usual criteria because we as owners are human and subject to all the feelings and failings that go along with being human. There are cows on this place that I would fight Dad tooth and toenail if he decided to send them to slaughter simply because of their class and dignity. I think you all know what I'm talking about. How about if we give A6gal a break here? Sometimes a bullet is the more humane thing to do than sending an animal to slaughter. Just my thoughts.

msscamp":20vppol6 said:
Ok guys, I have to comment on the comments on this thread. I fully realize that the name of the game as far as raising cattle is to turn a profit and raise quality cattle. I also fully realize that when a cow fails to perform or live up to the demands of her job she should be culled and given a one way ticket to town. But, I also realize that there are those animals that, for whatever reason, strike a cord in each and every one of us and are exempted from the usual criteria because we as owners are human and subject to all the feelings and failings that go along with being human. There are cows on this place that I would fight Dad tooth and toenail if he decided to send them to slaughter simply because of their class and dignity. I think you all know what I'm talking about. How about if we give A6gal a break here? Sometimes a bullet is the more humane thing to do than sending an animal to slaughter. Just my thoughts.

I'm glad someone said it. Sure makes me feel a little better.

You are right Msscamp. Anyone can get attatched. I know If it were a parent, that got old, like mine did. I didn't try to send to the first retirement home I could find. Is that what one is supposed to do, and yes I know this is a horse of a different color, but anyone can get attatched and want help an older dog, cat, horse, cow, person, or whatever. That should be that person's own thing to deal with. If the cow does or not make profit. The whole thing was about what to feed an older cow. If I made someone mad, I'm just kinda sorry, not really. Good luck with your cow. I have two like that, they are still doing pretty well though. The feed for the older horse, where is the profit in a horse????????????

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have put her on a ground corn and pellet ration. She is waiting at the gate each morning and evening for her feed. I know I am throwing money away, but my feeling is she's earned it. Most of the time it's about turning a profit, but this time it just doesn't seem that important. Probably if this was my sole source of income I'd have to cull her, but it's not so I can afford to be a little sentimental at times. I just can't afford to make a habit of it.

Didn't u just post about having an old {Grandma cow} which u should cull, but you just can't because of sentimental connection. Where is the crock now?????? What is it she has the sexiest eyes you have ever seen, or can you just not let someone else have feelings for thier own animals, AND, or FAMILY. Everyone is entitled to thier own thoughts, and feelings, regardless of {If you think its a crock, to compare, whatever to whatever.} Mr.Crock!