What exactly is a " Tiger Stripe" Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe different now, but JDH used to ONLY sell semen for "export" markets only. No domestic use. That may have changed, I am not sure.

Caustic Burno":2uwptco5 said:
The old Cherokee's were a red with red spots on a grey underbelly. They could eat barb wire and briars and raise a healthy calf and will fight a circle saw over a calf. I don't know if the line is still popular in the Brahman breed, I haven't seen any in a while. Novatech would be the one to know if a ranch is still running the line.

We have a little " Cherry Red" beefmaster cross bulle. I need to take a pic of him and post him. He has been polled. Not sure why.
He has a nice red coat with a with strip along 3/4 of his back. He should be pretty if he grows up.

WichitaLineMan":3i82l2ei said:
Maybe different now, but JDH used to ONLY sell semen for "export" markets only. No domestic use. That may have changed, I am not sure.
I think you are right.
About the only way to get JDH semen is if someone bought the bull from JDH and sells the semen.
This bull was purchased by Kallion farms and is sold domestic. http://www.bovine-elite.com/brahmanepd2 ... &id3rd=170

OK guys, I'm familiar with the dairy breeding side of things so I have a question. What does the term "F-1" mean in cattle breeding?

Also, I realize brahman bred cattle are good mothers and good foragers, but how do they compete with the phenomenon of "certified angus" at the feedlot. Personally, I've always been disgusted at the sale barn when you can compare two calves at the sale barn, (one black and the other not; both exactly the same on muscling,) and see the black calf outsale the other by a large amount. We don't eat black hair!

I've got a neighbor who has several tiger striped cows and says he wishes he had a whole pasture full of them. He's breeding them to a Black Gelviegh bull and getting some huge weining calves.

francismilker":3883aj0c said:
OK guys, I'm familiar with the dairy breeding side of things so I have a question. What does the term "F-1" mean in cattle breeding?

Also, I realize brahman bred cattle are good mothers and good foragers, but how do they compete with the phenomenon of "certified angus" at the feedlot. Personally, I've always been disgusted at the sale barn when you can compare two calves at the sale barn, (one black and the other not; both exactly the same on muscling,) and see the black calf outsale the other by a large amount. We don't eat black hair!

I've got a neighbor who has several tiger striped cows and says he wishes he had a whole pasture full of them. He's breeding them to a Black Gelviegh bull and getting some huge weining calves.
A "F1" is the result of crossing 2 seprarte breeds. Doesn;t matter if it's beans or cows the first generation is the F1 generation. Breeding 2 identical F1s tofehter results in F2

There are plenty of JDH bulls with semen available domestically but you won't get access to the top ones. Even if you buy bulls from them, some divisions of Hudgins will make you sign a statement saying you will not sell semen.