???????? what does this mean ?????????

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds

Reaction score
never heard of this before. Knersie, maybe you can shed some light. I found this on a Santa Gertrudis site from Namibia.

"With the new grading system in South Africa, where two-toothed cattle are now going to be classified as Super Grade Beef, the purebred and crossbred Santa will have an advantage as one of the breeds that shed their milk teeth late."

I assume this is referring to late maturity.

I know here that when an animal is slaughtered if the 2 teeth are apparent they are considered over 30 months and SRM is removed, so any late maturing breed can take advantage of the rule..
This might not be a good thing as far as BSE and the srm rules apply ,thus perhaps more testing would be the answer.
Age verification with an actual DOB that coincides with their RFID tag will help the early maturing breeds dispute the 2 teeth rule..

Santas and Duhram Reds":mbhob027 said:
never heard of this before. Knersie, maybe you can shed some light. I found this on a Santa Gertrudis site from Namibia.

"With the new grading system in South Africa, where two-toothed cattle are now going to be classified as Super Grade Beef, the purebred and crossbred Santa will have an advantage as one of the breeds that shed their milk teeth late."

Not sure that is factually correct.

Our grading system works as follows. Here is a very much simplified version.

A- grade is from animals who hasn't started teething yet

Super A-grade is from animals who hasn't started teething yet and is feedlot finished.

AB- grade is 1-2 teeth. about 18-24 months

B grade 3-4 teeth. about 24-30 months.

C-grade anything that has 5 or more teeth.

The reason why the claimed late teething of the Santas in Namibia is an advantage is because they grow oxen out on the veld because its more flexible in a drought proned country. If animals start teething a few months later they will fit into the B-grade category for longer and have a better chance of being slaughter ready before going to C grade where there is a dramatic drop in price.

The Super B-grade might be an incentive from SA's side to get Namibia to use earlier maturing cattle or it may even be a case where they want to limit imports to B -grades to stop the inflow of Namibian beef. Most Namibian cattle is brahman or afrikaner influenced. While the afrikaner has excellent meat quality the same cannot always be said for the brahman. The best steaks I've eaten was from veld finished oxen in Namibia.

KNERSIE":3tg3s506 said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":3tg3s506 said:

Not sure that is factually correct.

Our grading system works as follows. Here is a very much simplified version.

A- grade is from animals who hasn't started teething yet

Super A-grade is from animals who hasn't started teething yet and is feedlot finished.

AB- grade is 1-2 teeth. about 18-24 months

B grade 3-4 teeth. about 24-30 months.

C-grade anything that has 5 or more teeth.

The reason why the claimed late teething of the Santas in Namibia is an advantage is because they grow oxen out on the veld because its more flexible in a drought proned country. If animals start teething a few months later they will fit into the B-grade category for longer and have a better chance of being slaughter ready before going to C grade where there is a dramatic drop in price.

The Super B-grade might be an incentive from SA's side to get Namibia to use earlier maturing cattle or it may even be a case where they want to limit imports to B -grades to stop the inflow of Namibian beef. Most Namibian cattle is brahman or afrikaner influenced. While the afrikaner has excellent meat quality the same cannot always be said for the brahman. The best steaks I've eaten was from veld finished oxen in Namibia.

Good informative post. It is always good to learn about other countries grading systems etc.

Latest posts