What does it take ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Crazy Farmgirl":3j75ykcm said:
If you want to be more self sufficient then good for you but you can't expect that so called "factory farms" will ever go away. It is because of those farms that our nation survives, in order to produce the quantities needed to feed everyone we have to rely on them.

Making the personal choice to become more self sufficient is great but it simply is not an option for everyone. I personally have chosen to be more self sufficient, I'm not ignorant to the fact that I will never be totally "off the grid" but I do as much for myself as I can. I think that there is no magic number of acres need to do it, do what you can with what you have. I'm lucky enough to have enough land to raise cattle, goats, hogs, chickens and horses and have a large vegetable garden. I am able to butcher animals and can/freeze vegetables and have eggs for my family, any extras I sell for a minimal profit. I started small and have added new things each year if money and time allows. Know this..it is NOT always cheaper to grow your own...it takes alot of work and time and money to get to the end product! If you are not afraid of a hard days work and are willing to learn from your mistakes it can be very rewarding. I have read many of the books you mentioned and while they are a good start know that the best teacher is experience and you can't buy that!

Well I am gonna get a hands on experiance as I go..lol I have had a little experiance with farm life, but its on the Cotton Side and very littleon the Agriculture Beef Side or Farm Animals at all.. I have ran farm equipment tractors, sprayers, modules, etc.. So I have the experiance on running Crop Wise and Equipment but not on the Livestock side. And thats what I need most..lol But I will get it. Books and DvD's can only take you so far.. You really need hands on experiance to really get a feel for it. I am working on that part now :) Thanks

It wasn't any skin off my nose my parent's were born in 1914. I grew up you didn't need it unless you had cold hard train rideing cash to buy it, and then you still didn't need it. I grew up when we didn't throw anything away.
I don't know how many old oil field building's we tore down for the lumber. My after school entertainment was to come home pull and straighten the nails, stack the lumber and tin. Secondary enetainment was called a hoe and a garden row.
I wouldn't have a garden for years after I got grown. As a kid we didn't have two car's if you wanted to go somewhere you put Moe in front of Joe, or saddled a horse. I hated hog killin or chicken killin day. Hog killin was on the coldest day and it wasn't just one hog. I still can smell them scalded chicken's.
I grew up when relatives came the kids didn't eat first or at the table, after the grown up's fixed their plate you could get yours and go sit on the porch with a glass of water.
The best thing about those day's is there gone.

Arkansas":g8ziymfx said:
CottageFarm":g8ziymfx said:
I understand the concerns that the movie raised for you Arkansas. While they had some valid points to make, they were also incredibly one sided and agenda driven. There's 2 sides to everything, and they only presented us with one of them. They wanted to appeal to our emotions, and didn't want us to think critically about the info they presented, so I found that to be just a bit too manipulative for my taste. What they did not show you was how alot of the agricultural changes in the past 100 years have improved health and life expectancy for most of the world. The world grows/raises more food than any time in history, and they're doing on only a small fraction of the land that was used 200 years ago. While there are, unfortunately, still millions around the world who are starving, (and sadly, most of those stem form political issues) there would be many, many millions more without the technology and innovation of the past 40-50 years.
I, too, will take issue with your statement about the "leading thinkers" out there. Like CB said, they're no different than you & me. They aren't any smarter, and they DO have an agenda. While our modern diet does play some role in the diseases we face today, man's diet has always had an effect on our health, both good and bad. Childhood obesity & diabetes are related as much to our sedentary lifestyles as to our diet. Spices were once so valuable because they covered the taste of rotten foods.
By all means, raise as much of your own food as possible and do it in a manner you're comfortable with. But as far as total self suffiency, it's very unlikely. Look through your pantry & refrig, and take note of every item, and see how much of it you could actually produce.
As far as the Cop vs Electrician thing. I'm in construction, so I don't have an unbiased opinion. I'm self employed and wouldn't have it any other way, for better or worse. Only you can decide what's best for you and your family.
Personally, I don't like Unions any more than Gov't. :D

And you know you are right there is always 2 sides. But its easy to be blinded when you havent seen the others side :( So I apolagize for any harsh feelings I gave anyone on here! I just been reading alot and I like Joel Salatain from Polyface Farms, and I like and believe in his operation and I too would like to have something like that. I think it teaches your kids alot of value :) Thats all so I am sorry for affending anyone :)

There is no need for you to apoligize, Arkansas. I don't see where anything you've said has caused any hard feelings. There's certainly none on my part. Good luck in your future endeavors and don't be a stranger. All points of view are welcomed here by most of us. Best to just ignore the others.

The other thing to consider is the hours you will be working. I work constuction sometimes close to home sometimes Im gone all week. With the cop job you know you will be home to do the chores and tend to the many other things. Just sayin you have to weigh all options. Farmin and workin full time IS ALOT OF WORK for you and your family.Jim

Caustic Burno":26h6zroj said:
It wasn't any skin off my nose my parent's were born in 1914. I grew up you didn't need it unless you had cold hard train rideing cash to buy it, and then you still didn't need it. I grew up when we didn't throw anything away.
I don't know how many old oil field building's we tore down for the lumber. My after school entertainment was to come home pull and straighten the nails, stack the lumber and tin. Secondary enetainment was called a hoe and a garden row.
I wouldn't have a garden for years after I got grown. As a kid we didn't have two car's if you wanted to go somewhere you put Moe in front of Joe, or saddled a horse. I hated hog killin or chicken killin day. Hog killin was on the coldest day and it wasn't just one hog. I still can smell them scalded chicken's.
I grew up when relatives came the kids didn't eat first or at the table, after the grown up's fixed their plate you could get yours and go sit on the porch with a glass of water.
The best thing about those day's is there gone.

My father was born in 1938 and he told me alot of things that he had been through in his childhood. Along with a Fridge that you put a block of ice in the bottom to keep the top cooled. And milk dropped off at your steps in the mornings. And he said they couldnt afford a T.V. back then those were for the rich folks and all he had was a radio that he listened to -Hop Along Cassidy- or something like that. He said there ideal of fun was holding the neighbors dog down and rubbing his butt raw with a scowering pad and pouring turkentine on his but and laugh while the dog dragged his bottom along the grass and yelling. I always told him they were mean kids.. He said they were very bored. He said he remmbered when grandpa chained his car to the front pourch because dad and his brothers were always taking it and going up town in it late at night. He said he didnt know it was chained to the pourch and he tour the front pourch down. And Papa whiped his tale good, he said grandpa whiped him so good he ran from him and hid under the pourch and grandpa threw rocks at him to get him out..lol Dad always talked about harsh times back in the day and making 10 cents in a full days work and you really worked for it. He always said he was glad times are not like that anymore but he cant stand the way the kids are with there parents now. My father passed away in 2005 and I have missed him ever sense. I didnt think I would have a hard time when the time came cause my dad was always beating my butt cuz I was a hyper active child. But later in life when I turned 16 I was forced to move out of my moms house because I was a bad kid. And I was made to move in with my father and I will tell you that was the best decision of my life that my mother made for me. If not I wouldnt had grown up to become a Cop instead I would be in jail. And me and my father became best friends. So not only did I loose a father but also my best friend. Sadly my sisters never got to see my dads changes because they all stayed away because how we were treated when we was younger and seeing our mom treated badly. But when he passed in 2005 I know my sisters had realized they missed out on a great dad , it just took time for him to change was all. Loosing your family will do that unfortnetly. So love your dads and do and ask everything you can now because when there gone. You realize how many questions you never got to ask. To all the Guys/Girls that have lost a parent my Hats off to you, because I know how hard it is :(

wijim":3c2dh945 said:
The other thing to consider is the hours you will be working. I work constuction sometimes close to home sometimes Im gone all week. With the cop job you know you will be home to do the chores and tend to the many other things. Just sayin you have to weigh all options. Farmin and workin full time IS ALOT OF WORK for you and your family.Jim

Well with me my hours arent for sure. I usally work 50 to 60 hrs a week. The smaller the town the more hours you put in :( If I was to get on at another Town or city that was Say 20,000+ then I could get on regular hours but being in a small town thats 3k people its hard to do that..lol

I think a good place to get your feet wet in this project is to start canning your food. Get a pressure canner, I prefer the ones with the gauge. Collect your jars and supplies. Start with canning some veggies. You can start with a 50lb box of potatoes or a bushel of peas or beans from the farmers market. This will get you and the family started on the road to putting up what you will be growing once you get your place in the country. It is time consuming but WELL worth it. Once you get good with the vegetables, you can start working on other things like soups and meats.

I realize a lot of folks freeze their meats and vegetables, but when the power goes out how long will it last. Also, how long before freezer burn starts to take its toll. Properly canned items can be stored for years depending on where they are stored. A cellar would be a great place to store your canned goods once you get on your property. Canning is something you can get started on now while you are saving for your property.

The next thing to look into is what dry goods you will be able to put into storage. Things like flour, rice,cornmeal can be stored in sealed containers. Peas and beans can be left on the plant to dry and then they can be shelled and put up dry instead of canning. You will want to keep enough out for seed the following year too.
Anyways, just a couple things to think about. Probably nothing you haven't read about in your books, but figured I would add my 2cents.

Someone in an earlier post said that you would be very limited on what you would have for your diet. I don't see how. We have fruits- pears, figs and grapes. We have nuts - pecans, black walnuts and peanuts when we plant them. There is a whole library of fruits and vegetables to be grown, some during the spring and summer and some in the fall. A variety of meat and fish are available so I don't see how a persons diet would be limited growing/ raising/hunting your own. Anything you don't do or grow yourself, you can barter with someone else for. Thats the way it was done in the old days.

We were going through my grandmothers old trunk and found the papers for the original 10 acre piece of land my great-grandparents purchased in 1904 for the old homeplace- The down payment for this land was....wait for it..... A MULE.

Good luck on this project

A mule for a downpayment? If that ain't country I don't know what is! Closest I've got to that is the time I traded a bunch of chickens for an R.V.!

ohiosteve":1rqnwn1h said:
A mule for a downpayment? If that ain't country I don't know what is! Closest I've got to that is the time I traded a bunch of chickens for an R.V.!

I traded 2 chickens and a cow for my wife, in return I got another cow...lol j/k

I traded 2 chickens and a cow for my wife, in return I got another cow...lol j/k

and a bunch of kids. you can hardly complain; them goats is worth more than chickens.

:roll:

I am just wondering is this or is it not mandatory for everyone ? "National Animal Identification System" Because it seems that the corporate guys will have it made compared to a small time farmer.. If it is in effect how can they do this and allow corporates so much more power to basically strong arm the small time farmer's ?

Arkansas":1gitrqmu said:
mlazyj":1gitrqmu said:
I'am sure you've thought this through a bit . The cop job is 52 weeks a year . Working construction is no sure thing , it's chicken's or feathers . It may pay more hourly , but when a job gets completed there is no guarentee that you will go to the next one . That's just life working construction . Before I dove off the deep end and said I was going to live strickly off my land I would take a good look at who made that movie . Remember one bad hail storm , raccoons in the chicken coop , coyotes in the sheep and goats , and you mite be hungry . I worked construction for a long time and lived through the booms and busts , saying you want to raise a big garden and raise a few pigs or fatten a calf or 2 is a lot different then going off the grid.

Well I am doing the electric thing throught the Brotherhood Union so I will always have a Job in my area. Well thats what they guarentee. You may not be wireing a house. they may have to put you into a factory for maintence but you will always make a minumium of 23.00 an hour here. Its what they guarentee in the Union so I guess we will find out. And if it doesnt work I can always go back to being a cop. I could always try doing the cop thing and doing the Land and cattle on the side. But the money isnt as good being a cop. You only make 16 an hour in this area as a cop. and thats considered high pay in the state of arkansas :(

I spent 7 years in the pipefitter's union. Don,t let anybody tell you they can guarantee you a job because they can't. Its construction and things go up and down. You can make alot of money, but you may have to hit the road.

Yeah I guess anyone can guarentee anything. Hell you can put sh*t in a box and strap a guarentee to smell fresh..lol

yeah doesnt pay good to put your life on the line. Especially so many Cops out there that do Bad things that gives good cops a bad name. Thats why no one respects cops anymore unfortunetly :(