What does an ATV need?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm just too cheap to buy new.... 😉

I spend $ on things I have to depend on, worth the extra to know it will work when you need it to work. Our 4 wheeler is a hand me down we got with the property. Its and early 90s model yamaha. No complaints. Would like a nicer, bigger, better, but why dump something that always starts.
Kinda like my truck, it's an '06. It would be nice to have a new one. When they die, I will replace them.

I have 3: Sportsman, Big Bear, and a Kubota RTV--all 15 years and older, running good, and located around the farm. For a livestock operation, I would bite the bullet and get a side-by-side.

I have 3: Sportsman, Big Bear, and a Kubota RTV--all 15 years and older, running good, and located around the farm. For a livestock operation, I would bite the bullet and get a side-by-side.
Which do you prefer of the sportsman and big bear?

A sxs has to be subsidized with off farm income unless you're real big. I understand why people love them, but I'd rather put that money to work elsewhere at this point in my life. I think the labor savings from an atv makes it worth it to spend $5k or so.

Here's what I did for the "bad weather" times... about 10% of the $$$ of a sxs....., better fuel economy, fully "roadable", full on body on frame 4x4, good clearance, very easy to get in and out of, really great short wheelbase and tight turning radius, uses much longer lasting light truck tires, lighter and smaller than a Polaris 1000cc 2 row, 1600cc engine, AC, heat, AM/FM/CD/SirriusXM, power steering/brakes, and it even has air bags (not sure that's a plus in an off-roader). L-O-V-E IT! Wish they were still selling them new, so I could find another nice used one again when I wear this one out. Still prefer to use the 4 wheeler though in nice weather... I can duck that under the electric fences..... and I DO... all the time.

1617224171848.png1617224735713.png

I talked to 4 dealerships about the CFMoto 500. None of them had any in stock and didn't know when they would have any back in stock, likely months out. I got a couple quotes. Both were $6300 out the door. I wasn't willing to spend that much on an off brand.

I ended up finding a 2015 polaris sportsman 570 4x4 with power steering for $4750. It was supposedly just used on the farm. It seems like a well taken care of machine. I picked it up last weekend!

Still prefer to use the 4 wheeler though in nice weather... I can duck that under the electric fences..... and I DO... all the time.

Do you mean you can drive the 4 wheeler over the electric fences? If so, did you install a bracket on the front?

Do you mean you can drive the 4 wheeler over the electric fences? If so, did you install a bracket on the front?
No, that's not what I do, but it's a common way too. I think you'd have to have the fence wire a lot looser than I care for them to be to pull it down from mid-thigh to the ground. Greg Judy has a wire catcher on his though I know.

No, I just drive up close to the wire, and I carry a double insulated needle nose electricians pliers in my plier pocket, so I just grab the wire with that and lift it up, hit the throttle a little, and shoot the 4 wheeler under the wire, it rolls to a stop, I step over and jump on. Can't do that with the Tracker of course. I run the 4 wheeler under the wires all the time though. Single HT wire of course...

You'll like your Polaris, especially with the power steering. Wish my Foreman had that.

I talked to 4 dealerships about the CFMoto 500. None of them had any in stock and didn't know when they would have any back in stock, likely months out. I got a couple quotes. Both were $6300 out the door. I wasn't willing to spend that much on an off brand.

I ended up finding a 2015 polaris sportsman 570 4x4 with power steering for $4750. It was supposedly just used on the farm. It seems like a well taken care of machine. I picked it up last weekend!

That's the downside to CFMotos. Seems like they are hard to get, especially now, and by the time the dealers add their BS fees and Trumps tariffs onto full MSRP, they're not much of a bargain. People are buying them as fast as they can get them in, doesn't make sense for the dealers to bargain. Best thing is to find one that's been sitting on the lot and is a year or more old, but that's kind of a unicorn in this market.

I am not a fan of Polaris, but I hope it works well for you. Those Sportsmans sure ride good. I really hate where they put the battery on those things.

Yeah, they all said they can't keep the 500s on the lot. They sell up right away.

I didn't get why the battery is so far down there either. I was expecting it right under the seat.

I've been considering a mule 4010 Trans, they're as rare as hen's teeth, they can't keep them on the lot. Salesman said if I want one I need to put up $500 deposit and they'll order me one.

I agree side x side. I had a Polaris Sportsman for 4 years when one day riding up the road it started leaving a streak of oil. Immediately shut down, but to late motor was toast. I started looking for another ATV then decide to get a side x side, best decision we ever made. It gets used every day, checking cows, moving cows, building fences, irrigation, etc. I basically don't even move my truck anymore unless need to haul the trailer. I honestly don't know how I got along without it all those years. We still have a 4 wheeler but it rarely get used, everyone prefers the side x side.

What bugs me the worst about side by sides is the dust. If you have a windshield installed, you've got this low pressure area in the cab where the dust just swirls. Take the windshield off and the problem goes away, but then you can't run them in the rain.

They also get hotter than hell in the summer.

Ya have to agree on the windshield. I take mine off as soon as it warms up to avoid the dust and it goes back on around Oct/Nov when it's to cold to go without it. I did look at a new Kubota diesel side x side it had a full cab with heat/AC. Cab looked really tight with good glass. I'm not sure what the unit cost, but probably more than I'd want to spend. Sure was nice though!

Latest posts