What does an ATV need?

Help Support CattleToday:

KAstocker

Reaction score
I'm going to buy an ATV, but I'm a bit of a tight wad. When I first started looking, I just figured that I would buy a used Foreman or Sportsman 500. Those are too expensive though.

My primary use would be driving it around the pasture checking and moving calves. I will probably keep fencing material on it. I don't need a lot of power to tow anything. I don't plan on crossing any creeks or going up steep terrain. I do want to buy a broadcast seeder to put on the back to frost seed clover and lespedeza about once a year. That would probably be a 100 lb capacity seeder.

I'm wondering about a Kawasaki Brute Force 300. A new one is only $4400. I haven't really considered something this small until just recently. It only comes in 2WD. Also, the rear rack rating is only 66 lbs. Is it really that low? Can a person not even ride on the back? Even the bigger ATVs only have around a 150 lb rear rack rating.

I'd love to know your guys' thoughts on this.

I seriously suggest a Honda rancher! Had 2 sportsman 500's both were not very reliable. Would have traded both of them for a old Honda 300 fourtrax from the 90's. The kawasaki is probably not going to be as good of a quad as a used rancher.

Totally agree on NOT a 2wd. I wouldn't consider one again. Kind of like a 2WD pickup... who would ever want one of those? I've got an older HondaFourTrax two wheel drive, and a Foreman 4x4........ never use the 2wd... even the kids will always prefer the Foreman. I looked at a Rancher... glad I got the Foreman.

I understand it's cheaper but I wouldn't want a new 4 wheeler that wasn't 4 wheel drive. I've got an old 2 wheel drive honda and it's limited in capability. I used to have a 4x4 grizzly and it was a beast.

My maw has a grizzly 4×4 fuel injection and power steering. It's been good to her. Come to think of it she doesn't do nothing with it. 😆 My husband and I used to ride it some. My step dad and me used to drive it. He was wild for his age better be hold on. 🙌🏾🙈
They all switched to side by side. 🤑💸

Totally agree on NOT a 2wd. I wouldn't consider one again. Kind of like a 2WD pickup... who would ever want one of those? I've got an older HondaFourTrax two wheel drive, and a Foreman 4x4........ never use the 2wd... even the kids will always prefer the Foreman. I looked at a Rancher... glad I got the Foreman.

I believe that is the town folks that drive 2wd drive trucks and don't use them as trucks. When I'll looking at used trucks and I noticed it's not a diesel or 2wd. 👎🏽 ticks me off.

I just bought a new Honda Rancher a couple weeks ago. I am surrounded by full time ranchers. They all have quads and they use them hard. They all have Honda Ranchers. There is a variety of side by sides but the quads are all ranchers. Get a 4 wheel drive model. I had a 2004 model that I bought used. It lasted me about 7 years and I ride one nearly every day. If you can find a decent used one for a good price go that way. I couldn't find one so I went with new.

I looked at those one time and they are not bad machines. I've had the bigger Brute Force 650. That's actually how I hot my name. My opinion is they would be great for crusing and light work bit if you try to really work it hard you will have problems. Like trying to do 1 ton work with a 1/2 ton.

I was looking for my son but they were plenty big for me to cruise checking cows or what ever.

The terrain and what you are planning on using it for with determine the 2wd vs 4wd debate. I've gone thru some crazy stuff on a 2wd rancher with a good set of tires in the rear.

Have a 1998 Yamaha Kodiak 400. Pulled a 150 gallon 40 ft boom sprayer with it for ten years, now it's just a fence runner/joy rider. It's a tough little machine. Hondas are always good too.

I have an old Bayou 220, 2wd. Deep snow or really deep mud was about the only thing that would really get it stuck. As long as one back wheel was in something solid you could go somewhere.

Got it when I was 15, still have it but don't use it anymore, not really worth anything to sell, so I'll just hang on to it. I've flipped it every way you could, had it in water almost to the seat, sunk it many a mudhole, you name it, thing just keeps on ticking.

Good tires on a 2wd make all the difference in the world. Most factory tires are so slick it's almost pitiful, put on some Bear Claws, Mud Lites, or any tire with decent lugs and they will go like crazy.

My favorite all time utility ATV is the older Artic Cat TBX 500s. The dump bed on the back is the best thing ever, the Suzuki engine is smooth as can be and reliable, and they handle exceptionally well. If you can find one of those, you won't regret it. Got one with 4500 miles, had to replace a couple CV axles, and the splines in the rear driveshaft stripped out once, but that's it. It's still got the original belt.

The little Brute would likely serve you well, but I would try to find a used one, will save quite a bit of money, and if you do decide you want something bigger, shouldn't be a big deal to sell it and get your money back, they won't depreciate like that new Brute will.

You'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable ATV than a Honda. Testament to their quality is the fact that finding a used one with some life left in it is near impossible.

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably end up getting a 4WD just to have. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of the idea. If i can't find a decent one used, I'm thinking a new CFMoto 500. 4WD and power steering for $5400 new. An equivalent honda rancher is $7700. No thanks.

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably end up getting a 4WD just to have. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of the idea. If i can't find a decent one used, I'm thinking a new CFMoto 500. 4WD and power steering for $5400 new. An equivalent honda rancher is $7700. No thanks.

I've got a 20 CForce 400 as my personal ATV. I do like it quite a bit, it's been solid, but it's still pretty much new. I have yet to hear anything bad from people that actually own them.

You get a lot more for your money, as you know. Seems like CFMoto's market share is growing quite a bit, the dealer here sells the crap out of them, can't keep any in stock.

With gas going up I'm tempted to get a UForce 500, but I'm still on the fence.

My biggest worry is if they will still be around in 10 years, there's been several foreign companies that made a go of selling stuff here and folded after a few years.

🙈 Oh no I wouldn't buy a CFmoto. Spam version New York strip. You will spend more than you will save the first year. I'd spend the extra $2,300 it would be well worth it. Than again I'd rather save for what I want than settled for something I don't really want. 😊

Latest posts