What do you weigh your calves with?

Help Support CattleToday:

I am usually not around right at calving time so can't catch them in that day or so when they will stay still. I also have cows that are usually very gentle but get VERY protective of a new calf - which is a good thing. So I don't make a big deal about getting birth weights.

I do try to ear tag them as soon as I can but don't get stressed out about it. I estimate birth date on ones that I am not there for. Any not tagged get tags the first time they follow mom thru the corral/chute and also weighed on the alley platform scale at that time. Knowing the birthdate I can then back into approximate relative birth weights.

Getting a birth weight is not worth getting injured by a cow doing her job, at least in my commercial operation.

Jim

Nesikep":1zw2dpy1 said:
I've only gotten close to maxing out the scale twice (140 lb +140 lb)

My biggest calf ever was 110 pounds, most around 90. Plus my 250= maxing scale.

I just pick them up and throw them. If they fly 10 ft theyre 70 lb. if they go 8 theyre 80. 7 ft is 90, 6 ft is 100. Etc. Most fly about 10 ft but ive had a few go 12. They were on the smaller side

hooknline":3pc4ggo7 said:
I just pick them up and throw them. If they fly 10 ft theyre 70 lb. if they go 8 theyre 80. 7 ft is 90, 6 ft is 100. Etc. Most fly about 10 ft but ive had a few go 12. They were on the smaller side
Seems like you would have to adjust those weights as you go through calving season. As you went along getting stronger the big ones should fly as far as the small ones did at the start. When you get much older it will work the opposite way.

True. Thats why i have a spread out calving season. That way i dont get used to the weights.

We use a similar outfit as well, with a few modifications. We put dowels in the sides of the sling to keep them straight, otherwise it'll bunch up on a wiggly calf and they fall out. We also went away from the spring scale and use a digital one, much easier to read and better accuracy. Our "weigh team" is actually me and my husband, so we have a bar with a curve in the middle to the sling doesn't slide around when he lifts and I read. One caution I will relate, let the calf down right away if the sling slips back behind the rib cage, we lost a calf to a bladder rupture and I believe it happened that way.

I use to use the scale and a home made sling but finally broke down and bought the one from Valley Vet. I try to weigh as many as I can but if a cow isn't co-operating I just don't get a weight on that calf and therefore don't turn in a bw to the AAA. I am able to lift most of the calves but a couple of the bigger ones, I just lifted them enough to get the scale and sling on my bale spike and then finished lifting. I also have an digital platform scale that I use for the larger animals. It has the instructions for calibrating. Says a minimum of 50 lbs should be used but I use 4 or 5 50 lb blocks of salt. May not be super accurate but I don't use the weights to sell by so it is close enough for me since the weights can vary so much depending upon fill. I usually try to capture all that are to be weighed and hold overnight without water or food, then weigh.

I want to build a scale with a hydraulic ram and some cables... once I get the ratios right it should be pretty good... Again, it's not for selling

Baldie Maker":15arwpwi said:
Looking to get some birth weight data on next years calf crop and was wondering what everyone who is weighing their calves is using?

thinking of this one..http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5
That's what I use, works fine, but it's a two man job. We also tag and band the bulls at the same time. Use grandson to fight momma. Haven't been stomped, yet. Some of them make some convincing threats. Got to be careful.

I do most of the calving chores myself so a scale like that wouldn't work well for me, though if you had it on a block and tackle it might be OK.. there are some weigh tapes for calves, though the accuracy is dubious to me, I think a 5-10 lb error woulc quickly happen... I usually weigh at 1 day old, so they've had some milk in them and they've no doubt gained 5 lbs..

Latest posts