Heavy duty rubber boots.

Bottom layers.
Quality Stanfield long johns.
Fleece-lined Carhartt jeans

Cotton long-sleeved plaid shirt
Heavy Carhartt zip-up hoodie
Heavy fleece-lined Carhartt coat

Head
Thick Nike or Carhartt or Hunting toque (depends which one is warm and dry)

Hands
Heavy fleece-lined gloves

I am a walking advertisement for Carhartt, I know. :cowboy:

Danner wool boot socks
Georgia 800gram thinsulate hunting boots
long johns
jeans
long john shirt
turtleneck
heavy carhart hooded sweatshirt
insulated carhart bibs
insulated carhart jacket
wool carhart hat
carhart womens insulated gloves
hand warmers in my pockets in case i need a little extra heat

Aaron":r6iu05m2 said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Right now it is so stinkin hot here, I will wear a pair of jeans, thin socks, boots and a bluey. Gotta wear jeans and boots for the brownies, but sometimes I will chance it and go three quarter pants and thongs (the type that go on your feet, get your minds out of the gutter! :oops: ) Lots of sunscreen and a hat.

In winter - jeans with thermals on underneath. A bluey under a regular t-shirt under a long sleeved button up shirt under a RM Williams rugby jumper. Normal pair of socks and a pair of mohair socks over the top of them. Normal boots. A scarf cos my neck goes out when its cold. And the same hat. I normally end up shedding down to the t-shirt layer once I start moving though.

It doesnt really get all that cold here though, no snow.

Keren":2jgglwc3 said:
Aaron":2jgglwc3 said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Right now it is so stinkin hot here, I will wear a pair of jeans, thin socks, boots and a bluey. Gotta wear jeans and boots for the brownies, but sometimes I will chance it and go three quarter pants and thongs (the type that go on your feet, get your minds out of the gutter! :oops: ) Lots of sunscreen and a hat.

In winter - jeans with thermals on underneath. A bluey under a regular t-shirt under a long sleeved button up shirt under a RM Williams rugby jumper. Normal pair of socks and a pair of mohair socks over the top of them. Normal boots. A scarf cos my neck goes out when its cold. And the same hat. I normally end up shedding down to the t-shirt layer once I start moving though.

It doesnt really get all that cold here though, no snow.

Keren, what is a "bluey", what are "brownies", just curious .

Larry

larryshoat":1mrl24qm said:
Keren":1mrl24qm said:
Aaron":1mrl24qm said:
Keren, what is a "bluey", what are "brownies", just curious .

Larry
I was also wondering about the bluey.

Other items I have no idea about are:

toque -Sounds like some fancy dessert.
tube scarf with chest guard-Riot gear?
hoodie-gangs that steal hubcaps?
The most puzzling is "Insulated dairies" Is this a barn or an article of clothing?
I would appreciate clarification. I am trying to become more fashion concious. :nod:

I like the cuddle duds instead of thermals, they aren't as bulky and don't get lumpy under your jeans. I already got enough lumps of my own.... only one pair of socks or feet will sweat in the insulated muck boots.. gotta have a turtle neck shirt then a hooded sweatshirt, then an insulated vest then the carhart insulated bibs, depending on the temp dictates which coat (or if a coat). Haven't found a hat I like, usually just a headband thingy over my ears or a banddanna and the hood pulled up on sweatshirt. My favorite winter time deal is the boot warmer the kids got me last year, keeps boots dry and it is great putting feet into warm boots...Gotta have a good pair of gloves, I prefer leather and the thinsulate lined are the best. I wear out at least a pair each winter, well really only the right hand thumb and index fingers get holes worn in them.

Ryder":o01jqkt7 said:

The most puzzling is "Insulated dairies" Is this a barn or an article of clothing?
I would appreciate clarification. I am trying to become more fashion concious. :nod:

Toque - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuque

Hoodie - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoodie

Ryder":wyyn1ouf said:
larryshoat":wyyn1ouf said:
I was also wondering about the bluey.

I would appreciate clarification. I am trying to become more fashion concious. :nod:[/quote]

Insulated dairies are heavy heavy rubber boot like boots with a winter boot liner that can be removed and dried. Not as heavy as bush packs.
tube scarf a scarf in the shape of a tube that you pull over your head and it goes around your neck. This eliminates the need for a long scarf that could get caught on something and kill ya
the guard on the tube scarf, fould not think of a word for it. I got this scarf made for hubby cause he is on an open tractor. Again it is a tube scarf, but on the front and back it has about an 10"x10" pannel that covers the chest and the back keeping the wind of the chest. Clear as mud.
Maybe i will takes some pics with hubby as the model

a toque is a heavy hat, made from wool, fleece what have you that covers your head and ears keeping the wind and cold off your head.

YUP! can't go out without my hoodie. As the weather warms up I start shedding layers. The hoodie stays until temps hit mid 60" and goes on again chilly mornings even in July. :D My stuff makes more then a washer full, coverall got to be washed separately. But only one or two times a year. :help: :cowboy:

I wear Schmidt insulated coveralls, maybe a hooded sweatshirt under that and warm socks with a pair of gum boots.

when it is below 20f
military long johns bottoms
wool socks
muck boots if it is wet
leather boots if dry
wranglers

tshirt
long sleeve t shirt
carhart denim shirt

if gonna be out for along time put on a car hart coat
below 10f I also wear a pair of carhart bibs

handmade felt cowboy hat

if over 40 and below 120
I wear a t shirt and a long sleeve denim shirt, wranglers, leather boots and a cowboy hat if over 70f i trade the felt in for a straw hat about 1st of may

My thanks to Aaron and Rockridge for bringing me up to date on cold weather fashion nomen clature.
I know a couple of old boys down here that will not even put on a long sleeve shirt until the first freeze.
If it is real cold and windy, they will put on a long sleeved flannel shirt and close up the side flaps on their overalls.

Of course one of these keeps his personal bottle of anti freeze in his overall's pocket. He doesn't feel much of anything.

Way back when I was a kid, I wanted to be tough and ignore the elements. Then I decided that a little comon sense was a better way to go.

Starting to put on some age so the cold seems colder these days...
Long johns...cotton socks then wool socks
sweat pants, t-shirt, double insulated thermal shirt
sweater (if it is really cold) wool shirt
insulated bibs, artic lined boots
a 4X ski coat (left over from shoulder surgery, it fit over the abducdtion splint)
insulated gloves...mittens if I plan on spending more than a few minutes outside
topped off with a sheep skin hat Susie bought me a few years back if it is below 10 degrees, a wool watch cap in warmer weather.
Up in the low 30s today...still wondering why I left Arizona.
DMc

We have days that have gotten up to the 80's with mornings or nights in the 20's. There were times in December that I had sweat dripping off of me. Other days sweats underneath my cover clothes with a jacket and hood just wasn't enough -

The cows are 20 miles from here so the back seat of my truck is full of clothes, plus welding cover gear and other specialty items.

It makes a difference if the 45 mph winds are out of the north or south.

It's been under -4 to 30 for the last few days and looks like it will stay the same for a few more days.

Below 40
Cotton, wool socks, winter work boots
Long johns, sweat pants, and old bibs overalls
Under shirt, flannel, and a winter jacket
Neck sock, wool toque, and my ball cap.
Insolated leather work gloves with extras in the truck
If it is wet I have rain gear that I will put on over everything.

My kid
Cotton, wool socks, winter work boots
Pantyhose, long johns, and old bibs overalls
Under shirt, long john shirt, hoodie, and fall jacket
Neck sock and wool toque
Insolated leather work gloves with extras in the truck

I try to be ahead of the weather so all I have to do is move the cows and the water / mineral sled. This puts me in the cold for a short amount of time. This is a long cold stretch so I'll be out side for about 3 hours tomorrow moving the temp fences.

My wife and kids keep telling me a pair of thick pantyhose will keep you warmer then long john. I have never tried this but wanted to see if someone was going to say the same.

Yesterday I had to slow down while doing chores, sure don't wanna work up a sweat at this stage. :frowns: +20 out there today, guess I have to start off with 1 less layer. And leave the XXL's at home. Jeez I'll go like a 20 year old Olympic athlete.

Side note.... I've been known to exaggerate, :oops: BUT only slightly. :nod:

Winter time is no time for my to be a fashionista. It's all about warmth.
Long johns, jeans, insulated bib overalls.
2 pairs of socks, hiking boots or insulated boots, depends which I can find first, my son is the same size as me now.
T shirt, sweatshirt, 2 jackets
Handkerchief around my neck
Stocking hat on my head.

Latest posts