kaneranch

Reaction score
What do you use to gather your cows.
> Horse
> Four Wheeler
> Mule, Gator, Ranger, ect.
> Feed Truck Only
> Other

A feed sack and a dog. The dog is for the 2 or 3 that don't really want to go into the feed lot...

Outside the barn I have a big bell. I ring this bell at everfeeding. even if they ain't been fed in a while they will come to the bunks when I ring that bell. They can hear it for a surprisenly long way. When they come up I just close the gate behind them.

Truck horn. Was in the car one day..blew the horn...while they all raised their heads and looked...didn't come....can't beleive they knew the difference....both vehicles white...Hummmm! :roll:

feed sacks and have a 4 wheeler to get around the stragglers and inch them along toward the feed in the pen

I yell to catch their attention then wave a white stick over my head and they come running. They're used to being moved to new paddocks and we used to use white step in posts to break up the pastures into smaller paddocks. The older cows remember that when I'm putting in white posts they're going to get to go somewhere dofferent. The newer cows and the calves have picked it up from the earlier bunch.

dun

I start calling "Suk, suk" and they come to the barn. If this doesn't work I get on the tractor and drive out in the field, usually they'll come running.

greenwillowherefords":6dbwlo4c said:
I use the methods of Travis and Daybreak. Often all I have to do is show up!

same here... i recently divided my pastures up and it took a liitle while for them to get used to it... so i used a motorcycle a time or two... but now all i have to do is. open the gate and call em...and those white buckets are magic... ;-) :cboy:

jt

I do IMG so the cows get moved every day or two. I show up and they are standing in line ready to move where ever I want them to go. It only takes new cows a week or so to learn the program.
Years ago I worked on some big ranches where the cows are spread over tens of thousands of acres. Horses are the only way to gather cattle on that type of ground.
Dave

I call them or use a bucket. If they're "up on the hill" I use the truck to get them.
Where I work they use a tractor and feed-cart or blow the horn from the trucks.

Katherine

Latest posts