What do you use for paper work?

Help Support CattleToday:

I use paper and a 3" binder. I dont remember what it was called but we searched online and found one we liked and printed it off. I just make copies as i need more. My problem is not what to use but actually using it. I normally forget then go back and do several things at once. The wife is better at keeping up with the papers.

Caustic Burno":3exjuepb said:
I keep everything in a ledger book.
All the receipts in a folder.
The way my brain works if I write it in the ledger I remember it.

CB I still keep a leger book also for basics. It is cloud based so you can access cattlemax from anything that will connect to the internet. as with anything its only as good as the information you provide it. if your detail minded its for you.

M5farm":pt87e9u9 said:
I keep all my receipts in an accordion file. I spread em out on the table and put them on paper each qtr. for expenses. keep records of animals on excel file.

Kinda want to try one of them receipt scanners I see advertised on tv

Don't do it M5. I bought one of those systems to do my record keeping and I can say it is the most difficult system I have ever tried to operate. Yesterday my wife rebooted our computer and I lost two days worth of work because I can't figure out how to save my data and the "help" button is useless. Also, they hit my Mastercard account every month for $30 - don't know why, they won't tell me and I can't get it stopped.

I'm going back to Excel for my tax this year.

lavacarancher":2vkzet78 said:
M5farm":2vkzet78 said:
I keep all my receipts in an accordion file. I spread em out on the table and put them on paper each qtr. for expenses. keep records of animals on excel file.

Don't do it M5. I bought one of those systems to do my record keeping and I can say it is the most difficult system I have ever tried to operate. Yesterday my wife rebooted our computer and I lost two days worth of work because I can't figure out how to save my data and the "help" button is useless. Also, they hit my Mastercard account every month for $30 - don't know why, they won't tell me and I can't get it stopped.

call mastercard and get them to issue you a new card , new number , that will stop it. I have also thought about one of them receipts readers. for my financials I have a quicken program I bought years ago 2008 that I use to log expenses and income.

I DO NOT RECIEVE ANYTHING FROM CATTLEMAX TO PROMOTE THIER PRODUCT.
I was just impressed with the ease of use and the info it gives me at my finger tips and it has a free trial for anyone to see for themselves.

lavacarancher":3n6wexkl said:
M5farm":3n6wexkl said:

I agree with the other comments on the auto charging. If you are being charged for something and the company is not responding (make sure you call the # next to the charge on your credit card if they are a big company and their main number doesn't help you find someone who can help), then contact your credit card using the number on the back of the card. The credit card company is there to look out for you and can probably stop those charges without having to issue you a new number.

We accept credit cards for our CattleMax software and e-commerce stores. While I can count the number of chargebacks we've had in 15 years on one hand, I can tell you that most merchants want to work out the issue with the buyer without involving the credit card as the credit card company charges merchants a chargeback fee and too many chargebacks can affect their account status. Say something to the company like "if you cannot get this resolved then I will contact my credit card company to resolve it."

On another note, we use an iPhone app called Scanbot to snap a picture of our personal & farm receipts and have them automatically saved to Dropbox. For our business receipts, we put them in an envelope and send them to Shoeboxed.com who scans and categorizes them for us.

M-5":1f7xdqzt said:
Caustic Burno":1f7xdqzt said:
I keep everything in a ledger book.
All the receipts in a folder.
The way my brain works if I write it in the ledger I remember it.

CB I still keep a leger book also for basics. It is cloud based so you can access cattlemax from anything that will connect to the internet. as with anything its only as good as the information you provide it. if your detail minded its for you.
I've used Cattlemax for a long time. Does a whole lot more than I actually use. Been using Quicken since quicken DOS 6.0 came out around 1993 or so. It has a feature that let's you scan in a receipt and attach it to a transaction entered into an account register. I don't use that. I've played with it just enough to feel it is to complicated and time consuming, the old paper files for receipts still reign here. So much that I've started a new system for farm expenses. I scan and print a copy of each receipt, make notations as to what it was for then put it in a 3 ring binder. The original goes in a box to be reconciled with the credit card statements. I now use a credit card for just about every purchase. If I do pay by cash or check the receipt gets scanned and the original goes into a "cash" file.
It may sound time consuming but I spend a little time each day keeping records so it doesn't get overwhelming.

Jbonnot03":qxt7x27p said:
Another vote for Cattlemax. I just wish there was a better way to keep track of the hay inventory stuff.
Spreadsheet and/or a calendar. Mark on the calendar how many bales you fed that day or put up in storage. Keep a running total.