What Do You Think???

Help Support CattleToday:

funky 4-Her

Reaction score
These are pics of Annie and her calf Chip. He was born the end of June. Annie is a Holstein x Herf and Chip is out of an AI'd Red Angus bull. I am thick skinned, so what do you all think of them?

100_1188.jpg

100_1189.jpg

mnmtranching":2vtpgw7p said:
Looks good. Annie sure has a good udder.

Yah... The cows ( we have 3 beefies with calves) come in twice a day when we milk the cow for the house to feed their calves... When chip was younger she had too much milk for him so she would go out with half an udder full still. Now hes old enough to drink it all... The pic was taken after he had already drained her.

You asked what we think.

I think that the Hereford Genetics were very dominate in the Hereford x Holstein mating. Good average brood cow.

The Genetics and Phenotype possessed by the calf do not justify your keeping him as a bull - if that is what you are thinking. A good steer prospect.

I think that you should plan your future Beef Program very carefully, and change your current protocols.

DOC HARRIS

I like Annie as a commercial beef brood cow. Chip is looking a little ungrowthy right now. It is too early for me to get down on him; but I don't think I would rebreed Annie to that same Red Angus, though that cross....in theory is sound.

We were not planning to keep chip as a bul... he will most likley end up in someones freezer. I agree with the fact that Chip isn't all that big, our target is not to have a beef herd infact we are slowly reducing the number of cattle on the property. We used to milk dairy cows and my dad thought it would be nice to have some "beef" for the freezer. I think he wants to rebreed the cows and sell them. Keep the calves and put them in the freezer.

Latest posts