What do you think

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

You know the black angus steer i posted earlier on, well i have it halter broke no broken bones or anythin. He walks up to me in the pen now. and rubs his head on anyone who walks in the pen. O yea and i just got grand with him on saturday

So you had the only calves there. Well that shows the quality of your calves if the angus was GC. :roll:

Sorry we have six calves i posted 2 there was about 20 in the class. miss understood sorry

horseguy":1r1wxfc0 said:
Sorry we have six calves i posted 2 there was about 20 in the angus class. miss understood sorry

First off, go to a show before you start talking about winning it. I've never seen a jackpot show have 20 calves in a class. It just don't happen. That calf didn't even look fit to eat and you are telling us you won the show, yea right. :roll:

OK lets all be nice here. When your just starting out winning anything, even if you are just againt yourself can be exciting. When horseguy goes to a big show he will see the quality of his calves. Lets not curb his enthusiasim from the beginning.

oh get over it guys, everyone starts somewhere and you should be encouraging, not abusing, newcomers.

well done horse guy

It was a show that the county put on there was an british and a continental, and 3 showmanships. i got grand in showmanship and 2nd in the class. and cowboy 2.0 you are rude. You might want to know what you are saying before you start being a smart allelic. thanks any way

:clap: :clap: :clap: Carla you just beat me to it.

Maybe you all could think back to when you started showing. Horseguy, although from your last post the steer didn't look like a winner, at least you have had a go. As far as I remember cowboy and some others didn't even recommend breaking him in because he looked too big and flighty. Also, if I remember correctly he is from your own breeding program, and I congratulate you for that. I would rather show my own cattle any day. Your steer is not perfect and none are, but make sure you listen to the comments you get at shows so you can perhaps pick a better one next time. Congratulations on your hard work and success.

Keren":29opqi6t said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: Carla you just beat me to it.

Maybe you all could think back to when you started showing. Horseguy, although from your last post the steer didn't look like a winner, at least you have had a go. As far as I remember cowboy and some others didn't even recommend breaking him in because he looked too big and flighty. Also, if I remember correctly he is from your own breeding program, and I congratulate you for that. I would rather show my own cattle any day. Your steer is not perfect and none are, but make sure you listen to the comments you get at shows so you can perhaps pick a better one next time. Congratulations on your hard work and success.
he may have looked crazie but when i started working with him he setled down a lot and the donkey helped also

Well, nothing is unbreakable. When I'm selecting breeding stock I cull for temperament and wont break crazy animals, not because they are difficult but because I don't want to breed from them. But steers are a different story. I will happily take a steer than no one else wants, simply because he is difficult, if he looks to be a good steer. Actually, some of the best steers I have shown have been mean buggers or flighty as all he!!.

You know the calf didn't win grand champion, so don't lie, tell the truth. There are some unbreakable calves. My first steer was so mean that we ended up killing him and making a rug for our barn out of him. Now everytime we go in the barn we jump on him for payback for what he did to us.

Cowboy, I can honestly say I have never come across an animal I couldn't break. I have worked with animals that other people had given up with and branded as 'unbreakable', either because they were too flighty, or they'd gotten away and learned to bolt, or most of the time, they were mean buggers. Last year I had an angus steer that I actually was beginning to think was unbreakable. I worked on him for three months straight and couldn't get him to a point where I could show him. But I tried all the different methods I could think of and finally got him leading, two weeks before the show. This was a steer who would come charging at you if you were 20 metres away from him. He turned out the best animal out of the 12 we took to the show. But I was glad when I put him on the truck to go off to the slaughter :D

This calf thought he could fit through the bars of our corral. He was a complete nut, like totally insane. Plus, he kicked my grandpa and pinned my dad. Those 2 actions sealed his fate. Try as he might he couldn't win against a 12 ga. slug. :lol:

Cowboy 2.0":po7ub1e1 said:
You know the calf didn't win grand champion, so don't lie, tell the truth. There are some unbreakable calves. My first steer was so mean that we ended up killing him and making a rug for our barn out of him. Now everytime we go in the barn we jump on him for payback for what he did to us.
Yea and i am sure you jump on the calfs hide each time you walk in the barn you must not walk in there very often

Latest posts