What do you think of this heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Iowa-angus":38ovkndy said:
I have heard that if you can get a nice long cow out of the heard and some bull semen and your in business. Thats *pretty* close to what i'm planning.

There's a little bit more work to it than that. If raising cattle were that easy everyone would be winning at Denver.(Or for JOVID, everyone's bulls would be in great shape after breeding season ;-) )

I can see where both sides are coming from, but the important thing is you're headed in the right direction and you have plenty of time to learn. Key thing - have an open mind and learn from everything. Youth in agriculture is what we need.

Iowa, the best advice I can give you is, take what you read here from any of us with a grain of salt, you have an idea on what you want to do, at your age, playing around with ideas is a good thing. If you want to develop your cow herd from your dads cows, pick the better heifers out of the herd and breed up, keep looking for improvement and do not chase one characteristic, keep the cows sound, maternal and defect free. You have plenty of time so take it and do it right.
And remember there will be failures along the way, learn from them. Raising cattle is like raising kids, Everyone does it differently and no way is 100% percent the right way. Keep learning and asking questions, just don't make your decisions based only on the answers and opinion you get from the people on this web sight.

This post has produced some sound advice for this young producer.
Angus - most important - you need to learn what a good animal LOOKS like. That is the hardest thing for any producer. Go to bigger shows and OBSERVE.