what do you think of these two bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

The first tow are the same bull. He is about 20 months old. The 3rd pic is the second bull, he is 1 year old. Pick them apart. I know they are not the best pics and they both have been playing in the mud.

The bull in your avatar is a pretty good looking black bull.
Compare him to the two you posted and look for areas that need improving.

I would have to say the pictures and condition of the bulls do not help on a true evaluation of them. It appears whoever took them was standing in the back of a truck. The first pic that Hillsdown enlarged for you looks like a pic of a fish that someone caught and held it out toward the camera to enhance the size of it, hence the bulls head in the pic looks about half again too big for his body. It would be hard for anyone to even start evaluating without better pics.

Circle H Ranch

the pictures are not doing these bulls any favors, for sure. the first bull is lacking in depth, particularly in the rear flank (although the shadowing and hay contrast accentuates that a good bit too). still i would like to see him deeper and stockier at 2 years old. he looks about the same size as the other calf, but i konw surely he is much larger. the other one is posing too awkwardly for me to even comment on.

dompeters84":osaicb0t said:
DOC HARRIS":osaicb0t said:
They would make ideal steers for the feedlot!

DOC HARRIS

What do you not like about them?

dompeters84-

cmf1, Cattleman200, and Beefy have critiqued the "picture taking" technique very well. By viewing the cattle from above and at an oblique angle you have distorted the appearances of the bulls, a procedure known as "Fore-shortening", and justified the fact that "Pictures are a terrible way to observe and judge animals"! I suggest that you review past posts discussing Proper photography methods of photographing cattle. They may possess optimal forebears, but that does not guarantee optimal progeny.

DOC HARRIS

You could absolutely take better photos of them. The first has a nice heart girth and some spring of rib, but he looks very lacking in the rear end department and if it's true it's not forgivable. The second, if you couldn't see the hair from his sheath hanging down, looks like a cow. Not very muscular or masculine. That's hard to forgive also. They could get a little finish and make good eating. Or, I'm sure they could breed cows too.

Hey guys,

I will get some better pictures this weekend and post them. Thank you for the help.