What do you think of these Shorthorn Heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

RoppFamilyFarm

Reaction score
Due to my day job, I am not able to get my cattle to any fairs, let alone get input from other shorthorn producers, since there aren't any close by. So I would love to get input and people opinions on these three yearling heifers.

This first girl "hyacinth" is out of my cow sonny(next pic) and Saskvalley Bonanza.
She was 82lb at birth. Born May 5th 2013. I am looking at breeding her this year in June to A&T captain Obvious.
photo1-e1390194643179.jpg

Sonny
IMG_8455.jpg

This next heifer is "Lady Passion" born May 4 2113. Purchased her private treaty.
Heifer.jpg

Last is "Sophie's Girl" born March 25, 2013. Purchased private treaty.
Heifer_2.jpg

Would love any input anyone may have on these heifers or sonny the cow. I am looking at breeding them AI in June to possible A&T Captain Obvious or using the remaining straws of Saskvalley Bonanza on Sophie and lady passion. Thanks everyone I really appreciated the help!

RFF,
We've got several Capt. Obvious daughters on the ground here, out of 3/4 Angus cows - looking to be turning out to be pretty nice heifers, comparable to others by several SH sires. Think you'll like the calves.

I really like the first heifer and the cow. Then the roan and finally the red and white. Those 2 seem to be a bit leggier and not have quite enough depth. But that could be the growth stage that they are in too. Regardless, nice cattle!

randiliana":3vrhcq4y said:
I really like the first heifer and the cow. Then the roan and finally the red and white. Those 2 seem to be a bit leggier and not have quite enough depth. But that could be the growth stage that they are in too. Regardless, nice cattle!

Thanks for the input randiliana - That is kinda my exact thoughts as well. I really tend lean toward deep, soggy gals, but the price on the two heifers (registered) was to cheap to pass up! I figured that i would see what they looked like when they were older. Maybe i can breed some of that leg out of them :)

by the way I see that you are from Saskatchewan. I am a big fan of the Canadia SH! That is what the breed is supposed to be like! There are a few traditional breeders here in the US, but alot of them are moving toward the very showy SH side of the breed. Not very practical commercially. Just my opinion :)

Latest posts