What do you think of my steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

LaurenE":3e87u15m said:
Oh yeah, fair is mid April. He eats close to 10 scoops of feed a day (2 qt scoops) and that includes Purina show chow, corn, and beet pulp.

In my mine I find Purina to be on eof the best feeds. I feed it one year I bred 5 show heifers and they all suck. Then my dad gets the bills in and adding them up he said we are switching back to Bull and Heifer(hate it) that next year I had 4 and only one took. Mite have been luck but that was the best I ever had. I just find it to be a really good feed it is about $9.00 a sack.

Well from the second set of pictures he looks pretty decent. clean neck, good depth, his flank is high(pull that hair down at the show ;-) ) and my computer wouldn't load them all that well but the way they were loaded it looked as if he fell off on the top of his butt?

Nice calf though! keep up the work

LaurenE":1flb8vii said:
Oh yeah, fair is mid April. He eats close to 10 scoops of feed a day (2 qt scoops) and that includes Purina show chow, corn, and beet pulp.

Why are you adding the corn and pulp. Purina has a team of highly paid nutritionist on the job to mix up their show chow rations. When you go to adding stuff to it, it throws off the balance.

Not trying to make any assumptions, but if the reason you're adding corn to the purina is because the purina is too high price wise, I'd just swap to a different less expensive complete feed.

If your adding the corn to increase the energy, you need to remember that you're lowering the protein.

Pick a sack feed and run with it but stay away from the "home brews".

Good luck in the Spring.

Thanks for all of the tips! I do agree that the farther east (and south) you go, the more common it is to run into lower quality cattle more frequently. I wish it wasn't so, but that is just what I have noticed, especially after seeing some Kentucky bred show stock... I will definatley look into the Acco feed, but I dont know if they have it down here??? Around how much is it per bag? Purina is a good feed, but it is a little expensive. I am going to be moving him to the finishing touch (Purina) soon, to get more fat on him. I think that we are supposed to have around 2.8 back fat to make fair. Thanks again for all of your help! :D

Cowboy 13 :cboy: , surely you don't believe that all those Grand Champions really feed ACCO? :shock: They buy only enough to get on the list in hopes that they win one of ACCO's paying shows. The son of a buddy of mine won Grand Champ. Steer at the Okla. City Spring show a couple of years ago. Their steer was fed my custom mix, or "Home Brew" all the way through. They bought one sack of ACCO every other week. That's the way most people do any of the feeds that have a PayOff. Very few of the big time show feeders use a branded show calf feed. They custom mix according to the type calves they're feeding. I have people all over the country using my mix, but they have to be feeding cattle with plenty of growth for it to work. Mine costs $4.88 per sack. Added mineral is extra. 8)

I was just wondering what everybody feeds to their show calves... Do you feed straight show chow, or do you add other things? Thanks!

The last picture of him in the building, makes him look a whole lot better! Hopefully you still have some time for the finish. This is what this steer needs the most. We had a limmi steer a couple years ago, that did not have the best butt, then about 30 days before the show it just popped! Turned out his butt was the first thing you noticed when he entered the ring. Just push the feed as hard as he will eat! It cost a lot but if he will eat 30lbs a day I would give it to him.

AAOK":g49vf62a said:
Their steer was fed my custom mix, or "Home Brew" all the way through.

I don't think it's fair to compare your years of experience in perfecting your "home brew" to that of a youngster just starting out in the program's ability to improve commercial feeds by simply top dressing some pulp and corn.