what do you think of my show heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

pearl101

Reaction score
Miley_AR_10-07_edited_cropped.jpg

Miley_2_AR_10-07_cropped.jpg
she is 1 year 3 mouths pd simmy heifer :D

Probably looks "good" for a "show" animal...

However,

Post-legged, hairy legs, little sway-backed, and probably not good for anything except showing circuit. Definitely probably wouldn't survive in the "real" pasture environment (as applies to all "club calf show animals").

Excuse my sarcasm, candor...! Not feeling good today, have a cold. Otherwise, am not into the Show Circuit...don't need the effort, work, and ego-enhancing experiences... :)

Well thanks for the comments!!! But i do have to say that she has been one of the most consistent winning heifers in the last two years!!!!! :eek:

pearl101":2wcnowml said:
Well thanks for the comments!!! But i do have to say that she has been one of the most consistent winning heifers in the last two years!!!!! :eek:

Anyhoo...congrats!

As all livestock people know (including those that show)...beit cattle, horses, hogs, sheep, goats, rabbits, whatever... The show is about Judges preferences first, breed standards second, and the actual animal third. (Sometimes it is also "politics" aka WHO the shower is and their "reputation" in the business)What the Judges like is not always what the breed "should" look like in real-time 24/7/365 natural condition...winning one show "primes" the shower to "win" in the next show...especially if same judge... just the psychology of it all and human nature

:)

Running Arrow Bill":2ar3vbc7 said:

However,

Post-legged, hairy legs, little sway-backed, and probably not good for anything except showing circuit. Definitely probably wouldn't survive in the "real" pasture environment (as applies to all "club calf show animals").

Excuse my sarcasm, candor...! Not feeling good today, have a cold. Otherwise, am not into the Show Circuit...don't need the effort, work, and ego-enhancing experiences... :)

If you don't like "show cattle" why get on a board that is titled show board? I like your heifer she looks real good and I am sure she will do just fine in the "real" pasture environment. We have pleanty of old show heifers who live in the "real" pasture environment and do just as well as any commercial cow. Whats the breeding on your heifer?

One of the main things that judges at our state fairs consistently judge animals on is their function/durability/how they will perform in the herd. Maybe that is just around here, we don't have a lot of "big" shows. All of my former show heifers live outdoors on pasture and pop out healthy babies left and right.

About the heifer-She's very feminine-I'd like to see her a little deeper in the front but I like her depth in the back.

i think this heifer is a very good one. i would love to have her in my "real" pasture enviroment. she is not post legged thats how we make the legs look to show how much bone they have. she is a very long feminie heifer which is what i personally like to see. and for a simmi she has an exceptionally clean neck line. she's very smooth fronted and looks like she would move well. who is she out of if you don't mind me asking. and i don't see see where she is swaybacked. thats just a higher set tail head. not swaybacked. she could use a touch of depth but i like how level she is and balanced all the way through.

very good. Her show career has been excellent, and from the looks of her first calf, she's off to a good start on the production end. Any plans on flushing her. Cottontail, goes back to the H25 cow of mike walters doesn't she. What is the red calf out of?

Thanks :D We just flushed her a month or two ago and sold her first embroys in the kentucky beef expo at the beginning of march. Her red calf is a JS burning up, she is one of the best calves that we have ever had!!! Yes she does go back to H25 and mike walters!

Running Arrow Bill":12od6408 said:

However,

Dude, get a life. For pete sakes. As far as I'm concerned, your breed is not much more than a novelty.
And what do they judge them on ? The size of the horns?
Oh sorry for the sarcasm. I just get tired of non show people that dont have a clue, always criticizing hard working youth on what I consider to be a job well done.

pearl101":1n5t8scp said:
Australian":1n5t8scp said:
Very nice Angus.
SHE IS NOT AN ANGUS! :oops: SHE IS SIMMENTAL!!! :mad:

Take a look at a simmi in Australia and compare it to what you have. Over there they are fullblooded, only simmi. Somewhere along the line in your animal there is some angus.

Australian":1pc722p9 said:
There is absolutely nothing that proves to me that she is a Simmental. There has to be a lot of Angus in her. She is a nice heifer but please breed them like they should be without additives.
Well i can prove that she is Simmental! go to http://www.simmental.org , then go to animal search and put in Kenco Miley Cottontail! I would like to see a pic of one of yours! and i think that i have only seen 1 or 2 fullbloods in the U.S. And i have never seen a Angus with a white belly! Have you????????? :p

pearl101":l7rzg43w said:
Australian":l7rzg43w said:
There is absolutely nothing that proves to me that she is a Simmental. There has to be a lot of Angus in her. She is a nice heifer but please breed them like they should be without additives.
Well i can prove that she is Simmental! go to http://www.simmental.org , then go to animal search and put in Kenco Miley Cottontail! I would like to see a pic of one of yours! and i think that i have only seen 1 or 2 fullbloods in the U.S. And i have never seen a Angus with a white belly! Have you????????? :p

Not to go off on a tangent, but actually I have seen an angus with a white belly. He should have been culled - breed standard states that any white in front of the navel is unacceptable, white behind the navel is okay (and there are plenty of cows around with white on the udders). But for some reason, this bull was hauled round the local shows for quite a while with white in front of his navel, almost up to his brisket. I dont know what happened to him, whether he was culled or just retired from showing or whether the owners got smart and started covering the white I dont know.

Latest posts