what do you think of my show heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren":2qmnwcd1 said:
pearl101":2qmnwcd1 said:
Australian":2qmnwcd1 said:
There is absolutely nothing that proves to me that she is a Simmental. There has to be a lot of Angus in her. She is a nice heifer but please breed them like they should be without additives.
Well i can prove that she is Simmental! go to http://www.simmental.org , then go to animal search and put in Kenco Miley Cottontail! I would like to see a pic of one of yours! and i think that i have only seen 1 or 2 fullbloods in the U.S. And i have never seen a Angus with a white belly! Have you????????? :p

Not to go off on a tangent, but actually I have seen an angus with a white belly. He should have been culled - breed standard states that any white in front of the navel is unacceptable, white behind the navel is okay (and there are plenty of cows around with white on the udders). But for some reason, this bull was hauled round the local shows for quite a while with white in front of his navel, almost up to his brisket. I dont know what happened to him, whether he was culled or just retired from showing or whether the owners got smart and started covering the white I dont know.

Have to agree with Keren here, there are a he!! of a lot of blacks getting around with white bellies.

And I know there are a lot getting around with painted bellies too

Here here Carla. I have seen many Angus with white in them. All by imported blood I might add. True Angus used never had an ounce of white on them. I've been around for a long time and seen Angus cattle long before the fad of US and Canadian imports. Albeit they were much smaller and probably needed a bit of leg, but they sure have lost their doing ability, compared to the olden days. Just a question off the track a bit. Has there always been a fair few Angus in the US and Canada or is just been in the last 20 years or so? Angus have been here in fair numbers for a few years now,but they were mainly in the southern cooler areas. Now they are in lots of places.

Shes a decent animal, make a pretty good cow. Needs more chrome on her to be a nice simi in my book.

I have to say this because no one else seems to notice. That animal was altered in color in the show pictures, look at the first two pictures posted and then the updated picture of the heifer later on. So much more white on the later picture, that is not right in my book, I grate that it is a decent heifer but i'm sorry if you need to alter the color of your animal, and this goes for anyone out there, to show it then your animal isn't real out there and if I see that at a show on an animal one time and the next show the same animal is different then as a judge I would put you at the bottom of the class. I understand that most people dye black cattle for big shows to make them blacker, but be good enough at it to not cover up the white.
That is a personal pet pev of mine.
Pearl - you do have a nice heifer just be careful about pushing the rules so early in your career, it will catch up to you.

HFSimmOH":2rpuwjhu said:
I have to say this because no one else seems to notice. That animal was altered in color in the show pictures, look at the first two pictures posted and then the updated picture of the heifer later on. So much more white on the later picture, that is not right in my book, I grate that it is a decent heifer but i'm sorry if you need to alter the color of your animal, and this goes for anyone out there, to show it then your animal isn't real out there and if I see that at a show on an animal one time and the next show the same animal is different then as a judge I would put you at the bottom of the class. I understand that most people dye black cattle for big shows to make them blacker, but be good enough at it to not cover up the white.
That is a personal pet pev of mine.
Pearl - you do have a nice heifer just be careful about pushing the rules so early in your career, it will catch up to you.

Oh yeah, I see what you mean that big white belly in the pic posted of her older, when she has a black belly in the first pics of her at the show. Actually you can see the 'black' is a bit lighter there, too.

Yeah i know but i have to say that was the only show that we painted her belly that i can remember! and then the next day we left her belly natural. O yeah and you will see ALMOST everybody that you see at least that are professional they will paint the belly white! But i am just saying! Just trying to make a point :eek: And i do have to say that i like her belly WHITE better than BLACKQ!! LOL :D

Chrome is white. She needs more on her face. As to the painting, if the show allows it theres nothing u can do to stop it. If the show doesn't allow painting then we will just dye them before we get to the show. You can't leave white on an animals stomach or topline and expect to contend an animal that is solid black. The white breaks the animals lines.

Most judges do not like alot of white but you take those same judges and if a judge is having a hard time between 2 heifers and one is a baldy, 9 times out of 10 he goes for the baldy. I find it hard to believe you haven't seen more than a couple fullbloods in the US. There's some in North Alabama if you care to. As far as Angus..they have alot of white on them. If all you ever see of them at the shows then you will probably never see white since their dyed. A few Angus even have horns these days. Something else that is not permitted. And I hate to tell you this but if you think there is no Angus in your heifer you need to go back in her pedigree some. This can be done my clicking the + sign when you view her pedigree online. This is just a small list of the ones in her pedigree that have angus and HORNED hereford in them. Granted their back aways but still there.

Sybelle- Not even registered..don't know what she is..

YC Miss Proto- 3/4 Simm 1/4 Angus

Diggers Black Ulrica- 3/4 Simm 1/4 Angus

Miss Deerlick- 3/4 Simm 1/4 Angus

Nichols Miss 286R- 3/4 Simm 1/4 Horned Hereford

Miss S Hylan 330- 3/4 Simm 1/4 Angus

As for the white..if it was only done at the Royal..some white appeared somewhere because there's white covered up in this picture too. I'm not saying that I don't paint mine either(AT show that ALLOW it, Denver it not one) but I don't say that I didn't paint them and do.

I know this post may seem like I'm trying to pick a fight but I just wanted to clear up a few things.

JMHO & the facts.

LinZ

Wow - I'm impressed! You must have a lot of time on your hands to be able to research pedigree on someone else's animal. I wonder if you could come help me with my taxes? And I have a ton of work to do around my house! And calves need clipping!

You have to go back 4 generations to find 1 animal with 1/4 angus.

Gotta go! Taxes and housework are calling! :help:

It's not the fact that I try to waste my time but I do try to go by the saying " Book knowledge will make you money, self knowledge will make you wealthy" I don't like having the wool pulled over my eyes specially in my breed(Simmentals) and so I do research on pedigrees, epds and who won what show when and things of that nature. Besides the young lady clearly posted the heifers name and pedigree as well as the website to go to to look at that pedigree and now the ASA has a button you can hit to expand the pedigree and see many generations back quickly.

I love to clip if you need help clipping call me anytime :D If you're close by... I can actually do taxes pretty good too.

LinZ

LoveMoo11":1910e0pd said:
One of the main things that judges at our state fairs consistently judge animals on is their function/durability/how they will perform in the herd. Maybe that is just around here, we don't have a lot of "big" shows. All of my former show heifers live outdoors on pasture and pop out healthy babies left and right.

About the heifer-She's very feminine-I'd like to see her a little deeper in the front but I like her depth in the back.

Our fairs around here are the same.

Umm.......i just wanted to let you guy's know that Miley (the dam) and her calf Cottoncandy, won surpreme heifer at a show last weekend! Later that day the same show included a jackpot also and what do you know she won the jackpot show also! yeah i know that it is weird for a cow/calf to win a jackpot show but once again she took home the gold! O yeah i almost forgot she did the exact same thing last year, won the regular and jackpot show! i guess that kinda tells you how nice she is! sorry i just had to do some bragging there!!! :D O yeah here's a picture of her at the show!

Miley_Morehead_Preview_09.jpg

is the heifer not standing on even ground or does she really slope to her front like that?

Latest posts