What do you think it is?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
First off I'm not going to spend money sending this cow to a vet, she is holding her weight fine, eating well and keeping her calf healthy... but she is going to grow wheels at weaning time (sell as a slaughter cow).

With that said, last winter I noticed she was urinating often, seemed like a little every 10 or 15 minutes. I caught her up twice during her preg. and took her temp. All was normal except a need to pee all the time. I thought maybe the calf was putting pressure on her bladder (??). Yesterday while setting CIDR's, I got her in the chute and again she had a normal temp (she is still urinating very often and only small amounts). So I went to set the CIDR and without much force or effort I could not get the CIDR to even begin to go in. I was going to try again when I noticed a steady slow stream of blood, I'm 100% sure I did not cause any wall damage by my effort. I'm sure she has some sort of blockage.... Tumor?

BTW, she has always produced one of the best calves in the groups, consistantly 550 to 600Lb weaning weights, she has thrown 6 bulls and this year finally gave me a heifer on her 7 calf. But this calf is smaller and has yet to show me much growth.

Thanks,
Alan

dun":2v2iz7ui said:
What I think it is is time for her to go on the trailer

Probably a vaginal prolapse or some similar damage has her plumbing messed up. I shipped a cow last weaning who had a vaginal prolapse and she couldn't pee anything but spurts.

hillsdown":1lvkjb5q said:
It could be a multitude of things . Why are you syncing her if you all culling her for slaughter ?

I'm not synching her, she is in my last group of cows to synch. When I realized she had some sort of blockage at the first stage of synching (setting the CIDR), that's when I decided to cull her. So she is not getting syched and she is getting shipped after she weans out her calf.

Alan

I'm glad your not adding unnecessary vet expenses to this problem.
Shes got an obstruction probably a cyst or tumor.
The cow is only going to go down hill. I think I would wean the calf as soon as its big enough to eat well. Get a kill price for the cow before she goes down.

mnmtranching":3jw6ktd0 said:
I'm glad your not adding unnecessary vet expenses to this problem.
Shes got an obstruction probably a cyst or tumor.
The cow is only going to go down hill. I think I would wean the calf as soon as its big enough to eat well. Get a kill price for the cow before she goes down.

Thanks, she has been one of my best cows, she is 9 and has giving me 6 very good bull calves to help pay her way. She has her 7th calf on the ground now, a small petite heifer. The calf is doing well and has plenty of energy, but I suspect the cow doesn't have her normal amount of milk, fighting whatever it is she has. The cow is eating well and not too much difference in her BCS, I would say a 7 or 8..... so I'll hope to ship her in mid Aug. No need to throw good money at a slaughter price cow.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":g6cpbt6o said:
hillsdown":g6cpbt6o said:
It could be a multitude of things . Why are you syncing her if you all culling her for slaughter ?

I'm not synching her, she is in my last group of cows to synch. When I realized she had some sort of blockage at the first stage of synching (setting the CIDR), that's when I decided to cull her. So she is not getting syched and she is getting shipped after she weans out her calf.

Alan

Sorry Alan I realized that when I was fencing and thinking about your case. What did she feel like when you palp'd her could you feel any obstruction ? That sounds so familiar but I can not put my finger on it. I am sure I had an old cull like that a few years ago and the vet found it when he palp'd during her herd health ; she wasn't bleeding but she had a large growth that was blocking her cervix and of course was open. Vet thought maybe cancer so we did a BSE on her.

when I went through this with my goat, vet said it could be several things

urinary tract infection
urinary calculi (stones)
cancer/tumor
torsion
adhesion
constriction (in my case it was this one, scar tissue from C-section caused it)

Latest posts