What do you think it is? (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

djinwa":31grgsnc said:
HOSS":31grgsnc said:
She is being culled this year but since she is bred I would like to get her in the best shape possible before selling.

I'm a bit ignorant. Why does being bred matter? Is she being sold to be someone's future calf-raiser?

There are several buyers in my area that frequent the sale barn to buy bred cows that are in poor condition and run them on pasture until they calve and then they sell the cows for slaughter and the calves at feeder sales. They will generaly pay more for a bred cow in poor condition than an unbred cow in poor condition. Since she has already bred back I suspect that she will bring a little more at the sale than an open slaughter cow. These guys that buy this way are long time buyers that know that there is a risk associated with this type purchase. I am not trying to pawn off a lemon on an unsuspecting buyer. I am just polishing up a beater car to put on the lot. These guys know the score and they buy them this way on purpose.

There's a huge difference between selling a cow that poeple can see the problem with as opposed to trying to hide it by poking a prolapse back in and hauling it to the sale

Hardware, pneumonia, arthritis, complications from worming, poor conformation, etc... hard to say for sure. Maybe several problems together. I've seen issues with arthritis in a young cow's hips/spine and she always managed to get around but never quickly and never easily. The way she stands would make me think something in her chest area hurts - hardware is a possibility.

We had a cow that looked like that but only when her rumen was filled. She raised a some good calves and never seemed to be in pain or even discomfort. Arthritis in her hips finally got to her at 6, she was pne of those that was an old cow even when she was a 3 year old.

Not trying to be a A$$ here hoss but if she had that roached back when you bought like you said it has notthing to do with dairy blood it has to do with her being an inferior cow and a cull when you purchased her just like she is now I am sure she also had that ewe neck when you bought her also
as for polishing her up is that anymore ethical than someone putting a prolapse back in because you are still trying to hide her problems with a little more weight and what if some unsuspecting, uneducated buyer purchases her and takes her home as a bred cow then by everyone elses standards on these boards you have low integrity and your morals are wrong
I am not trying to pick on you Hoss but several of the posters on here seem to have higher morals when it is someone else selling a CULL than when others do it
As DUN said in a earlier post to another poster Morally you should sell this cow and NOT have her preg checked and and have her sent straight to the Kill pen and sold by the lb
But I guess it depends what side of the keyboard poeple want to talk out of depends on what their morals are for that day

Well my neighbor bought her last night so I don't have to take her to the sale. He gave me 400.00 for her as is. Since I had her up in the working pens already we gave her a shot of banamine and B12. He feels that she will be ok. He has been impressed with the calves that my bull throws and is hoping her next calf looks as good as the one I just pulled off of her. After she weans her next calf he is going to sell her for slaughter.

HOSS":2f8dqto9 said:
Well my neighbor bought her last night so I don't have to take her to the sale. He gave me 400.00 for her as is. Since I had her up in the working pens already we gave her a shot of banamine and B12. He feels that she will be ok. He has been impressed with the calves that my bull throws and is hoping her next calf looks as good as the one I just pulled off of her. After she weans her next calf he is going to sell her for slaughter.

I guess I shouldn't be asking, but if her calf is a heifer, will she be sold as a replacement?

I just read the thread expressing outrage for people selling bulls with problems, and how we shouldn't pass on bad genetics. You would think that would apply to cows also.

djinwa":3lxmzn8n said:
HOSS":3lxmzn8n said:

I guess I shouldn't be asking, but if her calf is a heifer, will she be sold as a replacement?

I just read the thread expressing outrage for people selling bulls with problems, and how we shouldn't pass on bad genetics. You would think that would apply to cows also.

No. Her calf is a steer....same as her first calf.

Here is a pic of this same cow when she was a young heifer.

P3160025.jpg

The unwavering admiration of those of us here who have heard it and seen it all before. Nice catch! :clap:

Latest posts