What do you think about this?

Help Support CattleToday:

I wonder how many of the "consumers" that they are trying to protect would even bother reading the label or give a dam one way or the other. The average "consumer" votes with their wallet, why else would so much junk be sold that's made in china or other asian countrys with lousey human rights records.

NCBA Statement on USDA Issuing a Final Rule on Mandatory Country of Origin Labeling

WASHINGTON – The following is a statement from National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) President Scott George, a Cody, Wyo. dairy and cattle producer, regarding today's announcement that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) issued a final rule regarding the Mandatory Country of Origin Labeling Rule (MCOOL).

"We are deeply disappointed with this short-sighted action by the USDA. Our largest trading partners have already said that these provisions will not bring the United States into compliance with our WTO obligations and will result in increased discrimination against imported products and in turn retaliatory tariffs or other authorized trade sanctions. As we said in comments submitted to USDA, 'any retaliation against U.S. beef would be devastating for our producers.' While trying to make an untenable mandate fit with our international trade obligations, USDA chose to set up U.S. cattle producers for financial losses. Moreover, this rule will place a greater record-keeping burden on producers, feeders and processors through the born, raised and harvested label."

"As cattlemen and women, we do not oppose voluntary labeling as a marketing tool to distinguish product and add value. However, USDA is not the entity that we want marketing beef, and on its face, a label that says 'harvested' is unappealing to both consumers and cattle producers."

NCBA's statement seems rather prophetic now doesn't it?

dun":1d4pxgk5 said:
The average "consumer" votes with their wallet, why else would so much junk be sold that's made in china or other asian countrys with lousey human rights records.

Maybe because we sent all our jobs overseas and we don't make anything anymore? American Corporations still make the money they just don't make it here.

I like the labeling, it helps me avoid getting food products from China. It was a stab in the back for Canada, Mexico and the other countries who jumped on their bandwagon with the WTO to file the grievances. Product of USA is going to be first choice with US consumers and that isn't "unfair trade". It is unfair trade to hide the fact from US consumers that their food came from, or has been to, another country. In other countries, I'm sure their own products are first choice with their consumers, too.

gimpyrancher":3o627cjh said:
dun":3o627cjh said:
The average "consumer" votes with their wallet, why else would so much junk be sold that's made in china or other asian countrys with lousey human rights records.

Maybe because we sent all our jobs overseas and we don't make anything anymore? American Corporations still make the money they just don't make it here.
Gimpy what makes a company decide to manufacture all it's good overseas??

Maybe because we sent all our jobs overseas and we don't make anything anymore? American Corporations still make the money they just don't make it here.[/quote]
Gimpy what makes a company decide to manufacture all it's good overseas??[/quote]

Could it possibly be excessive regulations(Gimpy's people) or could it be taxes out the wazoo(Gimpy's people) or could it just be a work force that is willing to work instead of make babies for a living(Gimpy's People).......please pass the free phones, abortions, and a little more great society!(once again Gimpy's people)

3waycross":nxse7ykd said:
Gimpy what makes a company decide to manufacture all it's good overseas??[/quote]

Could it possibly be excessive regulations(Gimpy's people) or could it be taxes out the wazoo(Gimpy's people) or could it just be a work force that is willing to work instead of make babies for a living(Gimpy's People).......please pass the free phones, abortions, and a little more great society!(once again Gimpy's people)[/quote]
:tiphat: :tiphat: :clap: we had a middle eastern family buy a gas station here in town . less than 1000 population only 3 gas station's. Everybody has something negative to say about it. But you know what? I've Noticed they work 7 days a week and 16 hours a day. So to be a honest man , i have to say i respect them.

3waycross":21odb25c said:

Could it possibly be excessive regulations(Gimpy's people) or could it be taxes out the wazoo(Gimpy's people) or could it just be a work force that is willing to work instead of make babies for a living(Gimpy's People).......please pass the free phones, abortions, and a little more great society!(once again Gimpy's people)[/quote]

Seriously 3waycross, you are on FIRE today! Basic economics...spot on!

3waycross":1u6gdgqn said:
Gimpy what makes a company decide to manufacture all it's good overseas??

Could it possibly be excessive regulations(Gimpy's people) or could it be taxes out the wazoo(Gimpy's people) or could it just be a work force that is willing to work instead of make babies for a living(Gimpy's People).......please pass the free phones, abortions, and a little more great society!(once again Gimpy's people)

Guarantee you 3way you just took the words right out of Gimpy's mouth...NOT. :lol2: :lol2:

Some of you may recall the last push by the USDA to make us track every animal from birth to table. Some may remember all the fuss over this and many thought it was a good idea. Some will remember how the USDA and the other idiots in DC touted that the UK had a wonderful system that worked so well and they could trace tainted meat from the store shelves to the producer in just 24 hours and WE needed to the same else we would face trade sanctions and the cattle industry in the US would go down the tubes.

I think it was last year there was a big scandal in the UK about horse meat being sold as ground beef yet to my knowledge they still haven't figured out where this meat came from. But what we do know and what the producers know in the UK is it takes an act of congress to move an animal from one field to another. You must get a permit or permits if its going to another county. The health inspector must be at the loading and unloading of the animal and you must be a trained and certified livestock hauler to drive the vehicle carrying the livestock and you can't do it yourself. Seems to me that Canada and Mexico are doing us a favor because we surely don't need this kind of regulation. But true, like any liberal would say, it would create jobs. High paying government jobs.

Latest posts