What do you think about this one?

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
0053.JPG

I can't see by the photo that here feet are a problem. Toss her if you have to start trimming feet. Put her out into your roughest stoniest paddock, ease up on the grain. I had a South Devon show heifer 20 years ago that I trimmed her feet,it got that way I had to keep on doing it. She passed the genetic trait onto two of her progeny. I got rid of herafter that. At the time I lived in a very rocky area so there was no reason for her to have had bad feet.I have never had feet problems in any cattle since. It takes a fair bit of work to prepare British breed cattle for the show ring. Its another job to have to resort to hoof trimming.

She really needs her feet trimmed. Her toes are way to long, after trimming she should walk better. The way I view feet trimming is if you are going to show it needs to be done. As for the comments made by Austrialia, that heifer had faulty genetics that caused her feet to grow that way not the foot trimming.

Chi496":2wu1ieay said:
She really needs her feet trimmed. Her toes are way to long, after trimming she should walk better. The way I view feet trimming is if you are going to show it needs to be done. As for the comments made by Austrialia, that heifer had faulty genetics that caused her feet to grow that way not the foot trimming.

While I agree her feet isn't ideal, it isn't bad either, shouldn't count much against her if at all. Why not just show her for what she is (which is still way above par compared to other hereford heifers I've seen posted on this site, including previous heifers from the poster of this thread) and move on to next year's project, she'll make a handy cow in the pasture.

I doubt the plan for this heifer is a long show career, she'll be out working next year earning her keep.

If your going to show why not have the animal presented to the best of your ability, meaning properly fed and fitted. And yes I would concider trimming of feet fitting.

Chi496":2mci750p said:

Yes, that was Colin's point, that the female had a genetic fault which meant her feet needed regular trimming, that is why he got rid of her.

We trim the feet on our show cattle because they are locked in small yards with soft soil, no chance to wear their feet naturally. If that has been the case, I dont discount them for needing a foot trim. But if they get long when they are out in the paddocks and need a trim, I send them to the yards.

The biggee will be Jr. Nationals. Until then, just the local jackpots. I just wish she was a little broader. Did you see the picture of the legend heifer?