What do you think about this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

glacierridge":1uvxurje said:
Plus if he's going to be mounting your cows, you want him to have as good of feet as possible to stay in good shape, kind of like athletes have specialized shoes for their sports. He'll last longer with maintenance.

He's a good looking bull otherwise. I hope he passes his gentle nature.
We also hope. First his calves we're waiting in February. ;-)

glacierridge":1c8zxpna said:
Oh geez, you sure are picking on me today.
Even still, she is a VERY nice animal... the point I was trying to make.

I'm sorry i didn't meant it that way.

Nice cattle! How is beef business in Baltic? Got any big feedlot operations'? There is quite a beef boom in east, I've heard.

P.A.L":2lmtxcln said:
Nice cattle! How is beef business in Baltic? Got any big feedlot operations'? There is quite a beef boom in east, I've heard.
I think beef business is changing for the better, purchase prices are growing, but still here are a lot of cheatting on weight and yield percent.We noticed that number of beefs is increasing, many of dairy breeders are thinking about changing their direction.The most popular breeds in Lithuania are Limousine, Charolais, Aubrac, there are a few Angus, Simentals, Hereford,Galloway breeders. There are some Shorthorns, Highland cattle here. It's a little problem for us because we would like to buy Bazadaise bull and a few heifers and after few years we would like to buy Parthenais bull, but just few of breeders know these breeds. I with my parents are thinking to buy a bull from France but it's a plan for a far future. :cry:

lithuanian farmer":30ook1wq said:
P.A.L":30ook1wq said:
I think beef business is changing for the better, purchase prices are growing, but still here are a lot of cheatting on weight and yield percent.We noticed that number of beefs is increasing, many of dairy breeders are thinking about changing their direction.The most popular breeds in Lithuania are Limousine, Charolais, Aubrac, there are a few Angus, Simentals, Hereford,Galloway breeders. There are some Shorthorns, Highland cattle here. It's a little problem for us because we would like to buy Bazadaise bull and a few heifers and after few years we would like to buy Parthenais bull, but just few of breeders know these breeds. I with my parents are thinking to buy a bull from France but it's a plan for a far future. :cry:

From what you say, there are "12" or more "breeds" available for your selection for BEEF production in your area. You also said that you were thinking of buying a bull from France. Why should that be a plan for the "far" future? I would suggest that you think about selecting an Aubrac (French Breed!) bull, focus on 'multiple beef' traits and characteristics with this bull, and start your good herd - NOW! Why wait for something to happen - sometime in the future??. Make your decision now, and make it happen now! Aubrac cattle is a fine breed of beef cattle, and the sooner you begin, the sooner you can acquire a beef cattle breed. The Aubrac breed is a moderate sized, thrifty, early maturing breed, which could be used very effectively in a crossbreeding program after you establish a functual beef phenotype and genotype seedstock base! Or - you could focus on providing purebred seedstock to your area neighbors later on. You do have a choice!

Give that some serious thought.

DOC HARRIS

Yeah DOC seriously relax. I don't know anything about modern day Lithuania and I doubt you do either. Don't go all professor on him when you know nothing of their economics. It's easy to spend other folk's money.

How about you go 1/2 interest with him and own your first bull? Give that some serious thought!

Red Bull Breeder and AllForage-

Take a deep breath, boys, and don't split your Jeans! There was no negative reference - whatsoever - to the Beef breeds of which any reasonably intelligent rancher is aware! My thoughts were for lithuanian farmer to have another option for his thinking.

DOC HARRIS

lithuanian farmer":2thzn5v7 said:
P.A.L":2thzn5v7 said:

A Year a go I visited big cattle show at Clemond-Ferrand. There is many breeds to pick your favorite. Their bulls are very expensive though. I wonder what is with French breeds? Salers looked the type of cattle that would work here in my environment. I'd like to see some fat on cows for winter, doing-ability and smaller size. Have you got cheap feed? (We don't). They feed lot of corn even to cows in France. I dont like EUROP-classification because it puts some much value for muscling. All the costs of heavy muscling is easily "moved" to farmer. Don't forget that French beef cow get's 250€ extra feeding subsidy from EU. :D

DOC HARRIS":2hdpk18v said:
lithuanian farmer":2hdpk18v said:
P.A.L":2hdpk18v said:

From what you say, there are "12" or more "breeds" available for your selection for BEEF production in your area. You also said that you were thinking of buying a bull from France. Why should that be a plan for the "far" future? I would suggest that you think about selecting an Aubrac (French Breed!) bull, focus on 'multiple beef' traits and characteristics with this bull, and start your good herd - NOW! Why wait for something to happen - sometime in the future??. Make your decision now, and make it happen now! Aubrac cattle is a fine breed of beef cattle, and the sooner you begin, the sooner you can acquire a beef cattle breed. The Aubrac breed is a moderate sized, thrifty, early maturing breed, which could be used very effectively in a crossbreeding program after you establish a functual beef phenotype and genotype seedstock base! Or - you could focus on providing purebred seedstock to your area neighbors later on. You do have a choice!

Give that some serious thought.

DOC HARRIS
Yes, Aubrac are nice cattle, but we want to find a good bull. In lithuania are a lot of aubrac breeders, but we heard that most of them have a lot of problems with cattles because they are a bit wild. Next year we'll buy shorthorn bull. Now we can't buy cattles from France because we''ll buy at least 20 cattles, but now we haven't got buildings there to keep more cattle. Next year we''ll start building, so thats why I said it's a plan for a far future, and also now we're buying land its also not cheap sometimes it cost ~900 eur.And we''ll buy cattles from France with Lithuanian beef cattle association so it will be necessary to buy at least 20 cattle.

How much land costs? 900€/ha? That is cheap. Here were snow is on the fields 6-8 months it costs 5000€/ha. Southern at better areas 15000€+ha.

P.A.L":1l64p5c4 said:
How much land costs? 900€/ha? That is cheap. Here were snow is on the fields 6-8 months it costs 5000€/ha. Southern at better areas 15000€+ha.
For you its cheap but for us its expensive :) In other side of country land costs 4000eur/ha.The biggest problem in Lithuania is that a lot of lands are planted of forests and many people are still planting forests. We're really angry about that. :mad:

Its hard for us to judge breeds because we can't find information about breeds and breeders in our country don't want to share information about their breeds, I know about breeds and especially about aubrac just as much as I've heard from other people, for example, out vet told us that he's tried aubrac semen on his cow and aubrac cross heifer was wild, he said that and other people have the same problem with aubrac, so we even haven't tried aubrac cross because we don't want to have wild cattle.About other breeds we've made opinion from our cattle. Farmers in Lithuania say that the best breed is the breed they keep. Yesterday one farmer in lithuanian forum have written that the best breed is Limousin and despite serious hurts and funny events Limousines are the best breed. He also mention that this year from 13 cows just 3 feeds their calves, but all cows are aggressive then you want to help for calf.So maybe someone could tell us are Aubrac really wild? Or just we've wrong information about them.

P.A.L":1pscf0q7 said:
lithuanian farmer":1pscf0q7 said:
P.A.L":1pscf0q7 said:

A Year a go I visited big cattle show at Clemond-Ferrand. There is many breeds to pick your favorite. Their bulls are very expensive though. I wonder what is with French breeds? Salers looked the type of cattle that would work here in my environment. I'd like to see some fat on cows for winter, doing-ability and smaller size. Have you got cheap feed? (We don't). They feed lot of corn even to cows in France. I dont like EUROP-classification because it puts some much value for muscling. All the costs of heavy muscling is easily "moved" to farmer. Don't forget that French beef cow get's 250€ extra feeding subsidy from EU. :D
Thats why we want to make our cattle more muscular , we want to earn more money from our bulls, because now for R3 category(for bulls) is 11,10litas/kg. It will be about 3,22EUR/kg.For heifers R3 category is 9,10litas/kg, about 2,62EUR/kg.We want that our bulls will reach U or even E category.This year we've had one bull which reached U category with 59% killing out.But if with 59% is U category, more our bulls have already reached U category, 1 our bull had 63% killing out,1(our limousin cross bull) 59%, 1 bull 61%,2 bulls 60% and 2 heifers 59%. But why just one bull reached U category ?This is a proof that meat factories are cheating with farmers with carcass evaluation.Thats why we want to make our cattle more muscular, because we want that all our bulls will reach U category and killing out will be higher than 60%.

lithuanian farmer":8wmxjzno said:
Its hard for us to judge breeds because we can't find information about breeds and breeders in our country don't want to share information about their breeds, I know about breeds and especially about aubrac just as much as I've heard from other people, for example, out vet told us that he's tried aubrac semen on his cow and aubrac cross heifer was wild, he said that and other people have the same problem with aubrac, so we even haven't tried aubrac cross because we don't want to have wild cattle.About other breeds we've made opinion from our cattle. Farmers in Lithuania say that the best breed is the breed they keep. Yesterday one farmer in lithuanian forum have written that the best breed is Limousin and despite serious hurts and funny events Limousines are the best breed. He also mention that this year from 13 cows just 3 feeds their calves, but all cows are aggressive then you want to help for calf.So maybe someone could tell us are Aubrac really wild? Or just we've wrong information about them.

If 3 of 13 cows nurse their calves and they'r causing accidents, are all the cows ready for slaughter. They aren't profitable at all. When you have 100 of those, your in deep trouble :D

P.A.L":28hxfreq said:
lithuanian farmer":28hxfreq said:

If 3 of 13 cows nurse their calves and they'r causing accidents, are all the cows ready for slaughter. They aren't profitable at all. When you have 100 of those, your in deep trouble :D
Yes :D I have read what he written in forum more and it's really funny. He said that crossbreeded cattle can't reach higher results than 58% killing out, so the best is to have fullblood cattle(as he wriitten: Limousin :) )Interesting to read :D