What do you think about " Doughboy?"

Help Support CattleToday:

I kind of see the White Park as a novelty breed. Angus, Hereford, Red Angus, Red Poll, etc have bloodlines that can produce a small enough calf and do more for you commercially. THAT said, he has plenty of breed character. He "looks" like a White Park. He is a nice four year old bull who is holding up under pasture conditions and the price is so cheap you can use him for 2 to 4 years, sell him for bologna and get about all your money back.

That head doesn't look too calving ease friendly. :shock:

Brandonm22":2nd4ihi3 said:
I kind of see the White Park as a novelty breed. Angus, Hereford, Red Angus, Red Poll, etc have bloodlines that can produce a small enough calf and do more for you commercially. THAT said, he has plenty of breed character. He "looks" like a White Park. He is a nice four year old bull who is holding up under pasture conditions and the price is so cheap you can use him for 2 to 4 years, sell him for bologna and get about all your money back.
He looks awful cheap to me considering how much of the family he is.........maybe they are too honest? Maybe they don't like hamburger meat>?

He looks a darn sight better than most of the bulls you see on craigslist. Some rocket scientist is posting on Kansas City craigslist with "dehorned Longhorn bulls".

He is a registered british white bull. His sire, J. West elvis, is a bull packed with muscle, he is a very popular british white bull. He produces great females and bulls.
She (Jimmie West) raises good cattle and they are all grass fed!!!!
He is a 3rd generation meaning there is 3 generations of british white breeding in him.

Calving problems in british white are almost unheard of. You can use that bull on heifers or cows and you will not have any problems.

That bull has already been sold. They just forgot to remove the craigslist ad.On J. West's blog she had an entry on that bull and a May update on him sadi that he has already been sold.

BRAFORDMAN":hz2awp4t said:
He is a registered british white bull. His sire, J. West elvis, is a bull packed with muscle, he is a very popular british white bull. He produces great females and bulls.
She (Jimmie West) raises good cattle and they are all grass fed!!!!
He is a 3rd generation meaning there is 3 generations of british white breeding in him.

Calving problems in british white are almost unheard of. You can use that bull on heifers or cows and you will not have any problems.

That bull has already been sold. They just forgot to remove the craigslist ad.On J. West's blog she had an entry on that bull and a May update on him sadi that he has already been sold.

Yea well then she should take him off the blotter...........he looked pretty good for the money I will say! Friends of yours?

I have not met her in person. I hav eemailed her qith question on British White. She is a nice lady and a a very reputable breeder.

http://www.texasbritishwhitecattle.com/

Check out her website. Look under sire pedigrees an dit will show you some bulls she has bred and raised. Her herd is 100% grass fed and I believe organic.

Some corrections. This bull is a British White, not a White Park. White Parks have horns and are not related.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/whitepark/

The White Park is not closely related to the British White or American White Park. Although all three of these breeds share a common color scheme the White Park is very genetically distinct from the other two breeds.

Doughboy is out of El Presidente, not Elvis. While Doughboy has muscle, something about that dip behind the shoulders bothers me, and I see it in photos of El Presidente, too.

I'm looking at getting semen from Elvis and Tom Sawyer of the J. West lineup.

I might add that they may be a novelty breed, but with more years of black cattle dropping dead in the feedlots from heat stress, they British Whites might become more common.

I apologize for typing the name of the breed wrong. British White is what I meant to say.....and thought I had said. I think all these 100 degree days is affecting my brain.

djinwa":3hgk9hmm said:
The White Park is not closely related to the British White or American White Park. Although all three of these breeds share a common color scheme the White Park is very genetically distinct from the other two breeds.

Doughboy is out of El Presidente, not Elvis. While Doughboy has muscle, something about that dip behind the shoulders bothers me, and I see it in photos of El Presidente, too.

I'm looking at getting semen from Elvis and Tom Sawyer of the J. West lineup.

I typed this last night. You are right he is outof el presidente. Ihave heard good things about that bull is well.

I Have a full blood bull and 3 full blood heifers. After they have their first calves. I am going to AI 2 to Doc and one to Elvis.

I have seen Doc in person. He is very impressive. He is gentle and is huge!!!!! But his calves are small.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rfdKTP34xI
This vid was taken in 2008(not my vid). I saw him last year.

MO_cows":3qcbj6wv said:
He looks a darn sight better than most of the bulls you see on craigslist. Some rocket scientist is posting on Kansas City craigslist with "dehorned Longhorn bulls".

That has actually ran through my mind before. I've heard of people using longhorn bulls on heifers which I totally understand, but I didn't want to mess with getting a different hay ring and headgate to accomodate the horns on a mature bull. Plus I bet something like that would be pretty cheap! I've also considered using a highland bull or a lowline bull on heifers. But to date I haven't tried anything other than what is supposed to be a calving ease angus. I've had ok luck but am always looking for something easier.

ChrisB":220cql9b said:
MO_cows":220cql9b said:

That has actually ran through my mind before. I've heard of people using longhorn bulls on heifers which I totally understand, but I didn't want to mess with getting a different hay ring and headgate to accomodate the horns on a mature bull. Plus I bet something like that would be pretty cheap! I've also considered using a highland bull or a lowline bull on heifers. But to date I haven't tried anything other than what is supposed to be a calving ease angus. I've had ok luck but am always looking for something easier.

If I remember right, Frankie used to have a dehorned Longhorn she used as a gomer bull.

Kingfisher":3h3epag5 said:
What is a gomer bull?

Detector Animals
Detector animals (teaser animals) can be used to help producers determine estrus. A commonly used detector animal is the surgically altered gomer bull. It offers an accurate, natural method of estrous detection. When bulls undergo castration, they become steers and lose their sexual drive. Altering bulls by vasectomy, penile deviation or both can be used to prevent bulls from successfully breeding without performing castration.

Since gomer bulls are used to detect heat and not for breeding purposes, selection criteria should focus on bulls that won't become excessively large in size and weight and those that have good dispositions. Vasectomized gomer bulls are still capable of penetrating a cow's reproductive tract; therefore, for heat detection purposes, they should be home-raised or obtained from a herd free of diseases. In order to prevent the spread of diseases from bulls purchased from an auction market (unknown source), they should be penile-deviated. Although penile-deviated bulls are manipulated to prevent copulation, in some cases they may successfully complete intromission. Therefore, if penile-deviated bulls are used, they may need to have a vasectomy to ensure that pregnancy does not occur.

Androgenized cows, heifers (freemartins) and steers can also be used to help producers detect estrus. Teaser animals developed through this method are generally easier to handle than a gomer bull. A veterinarian must treat this type of detector animal, since procedures involved in this process are federally regulated due to drug withdrawal time. Response to treatment varies from animal to animal, so you will need to include alternative methods of heat detection to ensure maximum success.

Chin-Ball Marker
Detector animals are usually fitted with a marking device such as a chin-ball marker (Figure 1). When a detector animal mounts and begins to slide off and the chin rubs the back of the female, the chin-ball marker is activated and marks the back and rump of the mounted cow. Although chin-ball markers are very useful, maintenance is necessary for continuous use. Straps made of leather may break or stretch, leading to the loss or misplacement of the marker in the pasture. They must be checked periodically (every few days depending on activity) and refilled with paint.

Using chin-ball markers will allow 24-hour estrous detection. Maintaining heat records twice daily will allow an observer to determine when cattle have been active during unobserved times. Reading the markings may take some experience to accurately determine heat. Markings located around the rump or tailhead area indicate that estrus behavior has occurred. Other markings may be the result of chin resting. Careful evaluation will enable the observer to accurately determine if the primary sign of heat has occurred in cattle that had previously displayed secondary signs of heat.

RD-Sam":1mbk43i9 said:

What's wrong with the head?

If you mentioned structural weaknesses I could understand, but his head is fine.

KNERSIE":seo5k3lp said:
RD-Sam":seo5k3lp said:

What's wrong with the head?

If you mentioned structural weaknesses I could understand, but his head is fine.

Looks abnormally large compared to the rest of him, of course I'm use to looking at angus.

Someone on a WY Craigslist has a couple of straws of JWest Elvis for sale -- must be right on the Colo. border, as I recall a Ft. Collins location. $25/each -- good deal if you are near there.