What do you put on backrubbers?

Help Support CattleToday:

rockcreekfarm

Reaction score
We are having bad trouble with flies this year (we are located in southwest Virginia). Normally we really don't use much fly protection besides fly tags but this year the flies are really bad so I bought a couple backrubbers and the guy at the feed store told me to mix the insecticide with diesel fuel or mineral oil. Im just not sure about the cows having diesel fuel all over them and mineral oil is like $15 a gallon. I was wondering if I could use used frying oil with the insecticide I can get gallons of it for free if it would work? If not is diesel fuel safe to use on them?

I was real leery of the diesel fuel mix at first, too. But we tried it at hubby's insistence because of the cost of the "ready to use" insecticide jugs. They show no ill effects from it whatsoever. The calves go thru it, then the cows lick the calves, nobody shows any sign of distress. Use it, it won't hurt 'em and it's a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

ETA: the vegetable oil would probably go rancid and actually attract flies.

MO_cows":1zg8o94u said:
ETA: the vegetable oil would probably go rancid and actually attract flies.

Not only would the vegetable oil turn rancid, but it will basically cook the cows skin in the hot sun. Put some vegetable oil on your skin and go out in the sun for awhile. You will not be a happy camper.

Diesel fuel is what the manufacturers recommend on their labels.

I'll take a chance posting this and hope this post doesn't violate posting rules regarding advertising.
http://www.phwhite.com/Web-page-5-A.jpg

http://www.phwhite.com/
/\
This should lead you to an image showing mixing directions for one of the leading cattle rubs and they do recommend diesel as well. That's what I use with no ill effects that I can see. I suspect it holds true for all rubs.

5 oz Permectrin II in a 2.5 gal can then fill with diesel fuel seems to work for me. this year have needed to re douse the rub more often than usual.

Jim

rockcreekfarm":1tgai09o said:
We are having bad trouble with flies this year (we are located in southwest Virginia). Normally we really don't use much fly protection besides fly tags but this year the flies are really bad so I bought a couple backrubbers and the guy at the feed store told me to mix the insecticide with diesel fuel or mineral oil. Im just not sure about the cows having diesel fuel all over them and mineral oil is like $15 a gallon. I was wondering if I could use used frying oil with the insecticide I can get gallons of it for free if it would work? If not is diesel fuel safe to use on them?

The diesel will work fine. If flies get real bad I'll mist them with some from a small garden sprayer. You will have good luck attaching some sort of face flyps to your rub. I use permecthrin. Make sure whatever used will mix with the diesel.

fitz