What do you look for in a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

CowGirl005

Reaction score
Breeding for beef (angus, hereford), what do you look for when choosing a good bull besides calving ease & carcass merit? What would you look for when looking at conformation? Thanks!

Same thing as in cows but with more muscle. Substitute scrotum for udder. Start at the feed and legs, watcdh him walk, then from their you go up to the rest of the animal.
But I'm a lousey judge of bulls.

dun":2atv79z9 said:
Same thing as in cows but with more muscle. Substitute scrotum for udder. Start at the feed and legs, watcdh him walk, then from their you go up to the rest of the animal.
But I'm a lousey judge of bulls.

Ain't that the truth. I have seen the kind of junk bulls you buy

CowGirl005":3prjvxbn said:
Breeding for beef (angus, hereford), what do you look for when choosing a good bull besides calving ease & carcass merit? What would you look for when looking at conformation? Thanks!

Not trying to be a wise arse, but asking the questions you do you'll need more help than you'll be able to get out of the replies to your question on this forum. I can't even recommend a single book that has enough info to equip you to buy a bull and to develope the eye to see what you've read will take time and practice. You'll be better off going to a respected long time breeder, tell him your goals, show him photos of your cows and let him advise you on what you need. It may cost a little more, but i'm sure the first calf crop will make up for the difference in price.

Here's the bare bones version. The rest you will have to get on your own. Through experience and as Knersie said find someone to trust to help you select the right bull the first time. One thing to remember though is you will get the best advice from someone with impecable credentials who does not have a dog in THAT fight.

http://www.bovineengineering.com/linera_male.html

3waycross":1re78xo6 said:
Here's the bare bones version. The rest you will have to get on your own. Through experience and as Knersie said find someone to trust to help you select the right bull the first time. One thing to remember though is you will get the best advice from someone with impecable credentials who does not have a dog in THAT fight.

http://www.bovineengineering.com/linera_male.html

I like that article and have read it numerous times in the past, unfortunately its very biased towards a certain type and for someone inexperienced its maybe a tall order to expect them to visualise the animal.

A place to start. Or maybe several.
http://www.beefcowcalf.com/pubs/Topics/ ... Selection/
I start with fertility.
As far as conformation, go to a lot of shows and ask a lot of questions. Make comparisons between winners and losers. This will aid with the experience department. Eventually you will be able to to start making choices on your own as to your likes and dislikes aiming toward a goal.
Do a serch on Cattle Today, alot of good info.

One cow is a Hereford/angus cross, and the other cow is a Hereford. I bred to a Hereford last year and got great looking calves that are growing like weeds! I am just not sure if we should breed back to the same bull this year or to try a different bull. I have looked at numerous bulls and can not decide. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!
~ :cboy:

CowGirl005":3obs4jmg said:
One cow is a Hereford/angus cross, and the other cow is a Hereford. I bred to a Hereford last year and got great looking calves that are growing like weeds! I am just not sure if we should breed back to the same bull this year or to try a different bull. I have looked at numerous bulls and can not decide. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!
~ :cboy:

Why not just stick to what worked well last year?

We do AI, we use ABS global. Just was looking at all of the bulls on their site and was not sure what to look for exactly.

CowGirl005":36wdkofb said:
We do AI, we use ABS global. Just was looking at all of the bulls on their site and was not sure what to look for exactly.

Who did you use last year?

CowGirl005":369s02oz said:
\

That makes a differecne. Given that the photos may have been photo shopped I still look for leg/foot set. I use their GTS and compare bulls using that, EPDs also are considred. It depends on what I want to bull to do for me that will govern what I look for in a particular bull.

OLF, I used "Master Duty" last year, a polled hereford. He threw some nice looking calves. The AI tech picked him out only because we were failry new and were looking for calving ease for our heifers at the time.
Thanks Dun, I wouldnt think they would be photoshoped, but you never know what people will do to make money these days. :eek:

CowGirl005":7r2ejlf5 said:
OLF, I used "Master Duty" last year, a polled hereford. He threw some nice looking calves. The AI tech picked him out only because we were failry new and were looking for calving ease for our heifers at the time.
Thanks Dun, I wouldnt think they would be photoshoped, but you never know what people will do to make money these days. :eek:
Somebody should correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure all the pictures I've ever seen are touched up.

Novaman, I guess I am just naive when it comes to looking at bulls for AI online. This will be my second time Ai'ing. The AI tech did a great job last year I guess I can just trust him again this year. Thanks :D

Latest posts