• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What do you look for in a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

CowGirl005

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Massachusetts
Breeding for beef (angus, hereford), what do you look for when choosing a good bull besides calving ease & carcass merit? What would you look for when looking at conformation? Thanks!
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
Same thing as in cows but with more muscle. Substitute scrotum for udder. Start at the feed and legs, watcdh him walk, then from their you go up to the rest of the animal.
But I'm a lousey judge of bulls.
 

3waycross

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
14,448
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
dun":2atv79z9 said:
Same thing as in cows but with more muscle. Substitute scrotum for udder. Start at the feed and legs, watcdh him walk, then from their you go up to the rest of the animal.
But I'm a lousey judge of bulls.


Ain't that the truth. I have seen the kind of junk bulls you buy
 

KNERSIE

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
7,058
Reaction score
0
Location
3rd World
CowGirl005":3prjvxbn said:
Breeding for beef (angus, hereford), what do you look for when choosing a good bull besides calving ease & carcass merit? What would you look for when looking at conformation? Thanks!

Not trying to be a wise arse, but asking the questions you do you'll need more help than you'll be able to get out of the replies to your question on this forum. I can't even recommend a single book that has enough info to equip you to buy a bull and to develope the eye to see what you've read will take time and practice. You'll be better off going to a respected long time breeder, tell him your goals, show him photos of your cows and let him advise you on what you need. It may cost a little more, but i'm sure the first calf crop will make up for the difference in price.
 

3waycross

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
14,448
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
Here's the bare bones version. The rest you will have to get on your own. Through experience and as Knersie said find someone to trust to help you select the right bull the first time. One thing to remember though is you will get the best advice from someone with impecable credentials who does not have a dog in THAT fight.

http://www.bovineengineering.com/linera_male.html
 

KNERSIE

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
7,058
Reaction score
0
Location
3rd World
3waycross":1re78xo6 said:
Here's the bare bones version. The rest you will have to get on your own. Through experience and as Knersie said find someone to trust to help you select the right bull the first time. One thing to remember though is you will get the best advice from someone with impecable credentials who does not have a dog in THAT fight.

http://www.bovineengineering.com/linera_male.html

I like that article and have read it numerous times in the past, unfortunately its very biased towards a certain type and for someone inexperienced its maybe a tall order to expect them to visualise the animal.
 

novatech

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
4,830
Reaction score
0
Location
Brenham, Texas
A place to start. Or maybe several.
http://www.beefcowcalf.com/pubs/Topics/ ... Selection/
I start with fertility.
As far as conformation, go to a lot of shows and ask a lot of questions. Make comparisons between winners and losers. This will aid with the experience department. Eventually you will be able to to start making choices on your own as to your likes and dislikes aiming toward a goal.
Do a serch on Cattle Today, alot of good info.
 

CowGirl005

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Massachusetts
One cow is a Hereford/angus cross, and the other cow is a Hereford. I bred to a Hereford last year and got great looking calves that are growing like weeds! I am just not sure if we should breed back to the same bull this year or to try a different bull. I have looked at numerous bulls and can not decide. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!
~ :cboy:
 

KNERSIE

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
7,058
Reaction score
0
Location
3rd World
CowGirl005":3obs4jmg said:
One cow is a Hereford/angus cross, and the other cow is a Hereford. I bred to a Hereford last year and got great looking calves that are growing like weeds! I am just not sure if we should breed back to the same bull this year or to try a different bull. I have looked at numerous bulls and can not decide. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!
~ :cboy:

Why not just stick to what worked well last year?
 

novaman

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
1,741
Reaction score
0
Location
North Dakota
CowGirl005":28vhwmbc said:
I will most likely stay with the same bull, just thinking if I could do even better than this year.
AI would give you more options.
 

CowGirl005

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Massachusetts
We do AI, we use ABS global. Just was looking at all of the bulls on their site and was not sure what to look for exactly.
 

OLF

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Location
Peterborough, NH
CowGirl005":36wdkofb said:
We do AI, we use ABS global. Just was looking at all of the bulls on their site and was not sure what to look for exactly.

Who did you use last year?
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
CowGirl005":369s02oz said:
We do AI, we use ABS global. Just was looking at all of the bulls on their site and was not sure what to look for exactly.
\

That makes a differecne. Given that the photos may have been photo shopped I still look for leg/foot set. I use their GTS and compare bulls using that, EPDs also are considred. It depends on what I want to bull to do for me that will govern what I look for in a particular bull.
 

CowGirl005

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Massachusetts
OLF, I used "Master Duty" last year, a polled hereford. He threw some nice looking calves. The AI tech picked him out only because we were failry new and were looking for calving ease for our heifers at the time.
Thanks Dun, I wouldnt think they would be photoshoped, but you never know what people will do to make money these days. :eek:
 

novaman

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
1,741
Reaction score
0
Location
North Dakota
CowGirl005":7r2ejlf5 said:
OLF, I used "Master Duty" last year, a polled hereford. He threw some nice looking calves. The AI tech picked him out only because we were failry new and were looking for calving ease for our heifers at the time.
Thanks Dun, I wouldnt think they would be photoshoped, but you never know what people will do to make money these days. :eek:
Somebody should correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure all the pictures I've ever seen are touched up.
 

mnmtranching

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
5,061
Reaction score
0
Location
MN
If I were you I would trust the AI tech to help you again this year.
 

CowGirl005

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Massachusetts
Novaman, I guess I am just naive when it comes to looking at bulls for AI online. This will be my second time Ai'ing. The AI tech did a great job last year I guess I can just trust him again this year. Thanks :D
 
Top