What do you get when...

Help Support CattleToday:

Carnivore

Reaction score
You cross a Red Angus Bull with Black Angus Cows? Will they all be black?

Bull is not registered, so not worried about that aspect of the offspring. Just need to pick up another couple of cows so the bull can pay for his feed.

The majority of black angus are homo black but there are some red carriers. Your calves will most likely be black because the cow would have to be a red carrier for the calf to be red and even then it's a 50-50 shot.

The calves will be black unless the cow has the red gene in her, then it could be red, but most likely still black.

ALACOWMAN":hbbmou6o said:
is the bull for sure a pure red angus or i there a mongrel in the woodpile?
What's that got to do with what color his calves will be?

ALACOWMAN":12kkw0p8 said:
is the bull for sure a pure red angus or is there a mongrel in the woodpile?

I am told he is, and I have viewed his momma and daddy, and they sure look like they are, but without a paper trail, who really knows?

I didn't pay a registered price for him either.

jnowack":115t0h3r said:
ALACOWMAN":115t0h3r said:
jnowack":115t0h3r said:
ALACOWMAN":115t0h3r said:
PLENTY

EXPLAIN
so when someone say's they have a unregisterd animal of a certain color not knowing their true breeding. you can predict their offsprings color not saying you cant get close but you cant predict it what if the sire of this bull had been a shorthorn and he has all the looks of a red angus. any time someone says unregisterd that aways sends a red flag up for me

The bull is red. Carries two red genes. If he looks like a red angus I doubt he is a diluter. I guess it is possible for him or the cows to carry a spot gene. But spots and diluters aside if you breed a red bull to red cows you get red calves. If you breed to homo black cows you get black calves. If you breed to hetero black cows you get blacks and reds 50-50 probability.

jnowack":1g1na6dw said:
The bull is red. Carries two red genes. If he looks like a red angus I doubt he is a diluter. I guess it is possible for him or the cows to carry a spot gene. But spots and diluters aside if you breed a red bull to red cows you get red calves. If you breed to homo black cows you get black calves. If you breed to hetero black cows you get blacks and reds 50-50 probability.
I m already aware of the dominent and diluters i am not good at making a crap shoot i guess

ALACOWMAN":2fviv5c7 said:
jnowack":2fviv5c7 said:
I m already aware of the dominent and diluters i am not good at making a crap shoot i guess

Just trying to figure out what you meant. Did not mean to upset you.

you did'nt thats fine was wanting too explain anyway you just opened the door . when someone say's not registerd you might as well shove the text books up a hawgs a$$ ;-)

ALACOWMAN":7dt4s9ye said:
you did'nt thats fine was wanting too explain anyway you just opened the door . when someone say's not registerd you might as well shove the text books up a hawgs a$$ ;-)

I generally agree with that statement; but in this case....homozygous Black cows with no freaky diluter gene involved are ALWAYS going to have a black calf when crossed with a red bull. It doesn't matter if that bull is a Red Angus, a Senepol, Gert, Herford, Shorthorn, Simmental, a stockyard duke's mixture whatever. Any black cow that ever throws a red calve is heterozygous Black.

ALACOWMAN":21lu0t59 said:

apparently you have a little too much faith in the honesty and integrity of registered breeders.

registered just means that they have papers.

jnowack":1fh9mkrq said:
ALACOWMAN":1fh9mkrq said:

It actually has quite a bit to do with what color his calves will be because if there is charlois or another breed in the woodpile, there is a 1 in 4 chance (if I recollect my breeding classes correctly) that the calf will be something besides red or black.

Aero":2j1fzp1b said:
ALACOWMAN":2j1fzp1b said:

• apparently you have a little too much faith in the honesty and integrity of registered breeders.
registered just means that they have papers.
no actually i dont that's just it ive seen enough born too know that there are always jowl droppers hitting the ground . just saying when i cant see the cattle are the pedigree's are know the background i dont predict offsprings

any time someone says unregisterd that aways sends a red flag up for me
EXACTLY!

Homozygosity and Heterozygosity is an absolute and complex study - fascinating to the maximum! When one is 'playing games' with genes, one must know all the rules of the game!

DOC HARRIS

msscamp":mp6p70nl said:
jnowack":mp6p70nl said:
ALACOWMAN":mp6p70nl said:

It actually has quite a bit to do with what color his calves will be because if there is charlois or another breed in the woodpile, there is a 1 in 4 chance (if I recollect my breeding classes correctly) that the calf will be something besides red or black.
thanks misscamp and doc harris. one thing i will predict for the the ol boy is there will be mostly heifers and a few bulls or mostly bulls and a few heifers. like misscamp has stated you might go out one morning and find a rat tail mouse are find all blacks .are find a few reds and blacks are find all reds and mostly bulls or find black heifers or or ....or ...or ..or :eek:

ALACOWMAN":2falryyl said:
is the bull for sure a pure red angus or is there a mongrel in the woodpile?

There has to be a reason a breeder wouldn't register him to poor a quality for herd service or he's a mutt.
Running a mutt bull is throwing money out the window IMO.
A bad cow hurts a bad bull is a diaster,the few pennies you save on a cull bull will cost you way more than that over the life of your operation in in consistent quality calfs to retaining heifers.
Being a responsible cattleman is about producing the highest quality consistent calf you can raise for our customer the American public and striving to improve this product year after year. This is like the Black Hereford hoax a group of people got together breed an Angus and a Hereford and called it a breed what a joke. This breed wasn't developed to improve anything but the pocket book of the guy that came up with it.
You will never get the hybred vigor out that cross with anything British again = a lower quality product for the customer.
Go buy a good Angus bull from Frankie and put some real quality in your pasture.

Latest posts