What do you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Probably been discussed before but what do you do besides farm? I'm a teacher and get almost 4 months off a year and I like that. If you farm or cattle farm FT I bet you are in the minority. I wish I could do it FT, maybe one day.

3waycross":1yz30fxz said:
I work for Sysco Foods, in sales.

They're pretty big down here in the Nashville area, see there trucks everywhere and they provide our school with most of it's food for lunch they serve.

i own a masonry construction company and i also put on boxing events.i am looking in to opening a restaurant that will have an all diet menu.if u look around u when u r out n public there are alot of people that r fat.

I freelance for 2 state ag publications. Used to teach, but I wasn't wired for it. Husband is in the tire business.

tncattle":1lqgm3c4 said:
3waycross":1lqgm3c4 said:
I work for Sysco Foods, in sales.

They're pretty big down here in the Nashville area, see their trucks everywhere and they provide our school with most of it's food for lunch they serve.

We are full time ranchers and farmers.

As for a secondary job, mainly volunteer,rural firefighter and EMT.

A stay at home mother job is a whole other page.

I'm don't know what I am. Make a living from the land anyway I can. Fix stuff, plant stuff do just about anything other people don't want to or can't do for themselves. I could come up with a fancy name for what I do but then I'd have to have health care, vacation, retirement program and benefits which I don't have. Therefore I guess you can just say I am "the help" of course with just 5 more correct numbers on my lottery ticket and I'll be retired.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Don't own the cows. Don't own the land. Do own the horse and saddle.
Of course, i'm also the unlucky one. Don't own the cows. Don't own the land. Do own the horse and saddle.

Let's see....bridge construction, social worker, accountant, banker, consultant, gigalo and now part time pimp and don't mind telling you "times are hard" these days. :cry2:

I train Claims adjusters for a crop insurance company. I have many different functions along that line but that is one of my main responsibilities.I used to rowcrop along with beef and pork production but we sold out of rowcrops and pork and bought pasture and I work for a paycheck along with the cattle checks.

TexasBred":3poy9qmy said:
Let's see....bridge construction, social worker, accountant, banker, consultant, gigalo and now part time pimp and don't mind telling you "times are hard" these days. :cry2:

I thought Pimp covered all of those professions except maybe the bridge part. :clap:

Engineering. Was selling a lot of limestone on the side too but finally gave that up when I had to raise grandkids.

When you make hay it is very difficult to hold down a full time job. You are needed day and night to make the hay, you become a walking zombie, you are dependant on the weather and so unriliable to turn up at a certain time all the time.

I do housework for my neighbour who is flexible with what day I do it.

Other than that I am a landlord.

3waycross":3e163yv5 said:
TexasBred":3e163yv5 said:

I thought Pimp covered all of those professions except maybe the bridge part. :clap:
Smart a$$..only you...notice I left out dairying since it's a "stand alone" profession. Thinking about retiring from pimping all together. Too much free merchandise around. :cry2:

I have a 6+ acre punkin patch that takes up all my time in the fall and part of my summer. I substitute teach and coach a lttle too. Hubby is a full time farmer.

I do as little as possible and I take lots of business trips to Arkansas
now My wife on the other hand runs a full time beef operation, is an accountant,secretary, domestic goddess, tractor driver, cow feeder, hay baler, veterinarian, fence builder, business manager, camp cook and hostess,taxi driver, Grammy,Gate opener,parts runner, mechanic,inventory clerk,SWCD supervisor. fire department trustee and probably a few others that I have forgot
I am sure jed can come up with some other things she does

Latest posts