What do you do with your cull cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Do any of you grain your cull cows before butchering or just butcher straight off of grass?
I've done both. I prefer 6 to 8 weeks on corn/hay. Helps get rid of any off flavor.

If the animal has always been in good condition, BCS 5 or better, it will be a fine dining experience.

One of the best we've done to date was a bull. 18 months old. He was a raging lunatic for 3 days leading up to processing. Was hard to kill. I expected it would be tough as hell. But he was damn good. Very tender. And only hung for 7 days. No idea how that worked out. He was fed corn for about 30 days after removed from pasture where he got fresh grass with the herd twice a day.

Everything I pull off pasture, that was raised on daily or better pasture moves. Has been unbelievably tender. Even the 5 year olds who have calved 3 times.

What's the reasoning, Kenny?
It's all supply and demand. Most stockyards in the area are going to be closed for 2 weeks so there goes the supply.
Most people out shopping will eat out while shopping so there is the extra demand.
Plus by the time many people start feeding they have culled their cows for the year. So less cows on the market for the rest of the winter.

It's all supply and demand. Most stockyards in the area are going to be closed for 2 weeks so there goes the supply.
Most people out shopping will eat out while shopping so there is the extra demand.
Plus by the time many people start feeding they have culled their cows for the year. So less cows on the market for the rest of the winter.
Glad we did our thing already! I got a Christmas present for you.

Neighbor told me he got $1.50 at Mascot on Tuesday. Heifers around 500 lbs. Didn't see it with my own eyes.

Just a note to anyone in the southeast, cows and bulls will be lots higher in the next couple weeks. Already have started getting better.
I said this and then we have had beautiful weather for people to get cattle to market so the supply has been more than adequate. Couple places the slaughter cows were a little cheaper even.
The better calf prices have gotten people to sell and they load a few old cows since they are going anyway.

I said this and then we have had beautiful weather for people to get cattle to market so the supply has been more than adequate. Couple places the slaughter cows were a little cheaper even.
The better calf prices have gotten people to sell and they load a few old cows since they are going anyway.
Guilty as charged. I took 2 oldies yesterday with some odd steers. Probably should have waited on all of em.

Latest posts