What do you do to get ready?

Help Support CattleToday:

LaurenE

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody makes an attempt to get their show cattle used to noises and loud circumstances before they go to a show (like banging pans, making loud noises, etc)? Just curious... Have any of you tried this, or is it just a silly notion that I just might be crazy enough to do? :roll: I am sure that the neighbors will be delighted... :lol: What, if anything do you do? Thanks!

Radio plays non stop and LOUD in the barn. Kids are running around. We spare no noise or movement at home and have no problems at a show.

Radio plays here also, i change the channel for time to time so they can get used to differnt sounds, and play it LOUD. We run a show circuit so our calfs are used to just about any noise you can think of. Saw a calf this weekend got spooked by a generator, it was due to the fact of not hearing noises..

Thanks for the tips! I am just worried about how my steer will react to sounds at the fair (while in the ring), he sometimes gets spooked by big drucks that drive by and by kids screaming across the street, so I will have to get him used to more noises. At least then I will feel more at ease. Thanks Again! :D

LaurenE":2j04jlru said:
Thanks for the tips! I am just worried about how my steer will react to sounds at the fair (while in the ring), he sometimes gets spooked by big drucks that drive by and by kids screaming across the street, so I will have to get him used to more noises. At least then I will feel more at ease. Thanks Again! :D

Lauren, based on your posts I think you will do just fine with your steer!

desensitize with radio, shouting, plastic grocery bags, aluminum foil, dogs, everything short of TNT.

Well since our barn is 1/2 barn 1/2 my grandpas workshop they hear torches hammers him cussing drills saws everything. plus the loaders tractors my dads harley the trucks and i drive by them on the golf cart regually

Thanks for all of your help! I will definately try all of your tips. Thanks. :D

We tie them up in the yard area a lot and then nothing like getting a good football game with kids up right next to them. Or just playing catch even. Also kids have Motorcycles they ride around near them when they are tied up. Just about anything that gets them use to commotion and movement and noise.

The first year I showed I hauled mine to the vet clinic and left them tied out there for a couple of days. All the cowboys and running cattle up and down the alleys and hollering really helped. They didn't do much besides sleep at the show!

Invariably they'll find something they've never seen before, but I spend a lot of time before the show walking them through the aisles and around stuff. I get them into the ring if it's possible before the shows start also. They'll get used to that stuff in no time.!

Invariably they'll find something they've never seen before, but I spend a lot of time before the show walking them through the aisles and around stuff.

How true this is. Two years ago at our county fair my sons steer got to see something he never saw before. As I was unloading him out of the Trailer a kid in one of those Fast and Furious Rice burner Geo Metro cars came around the corner playing Rap music loud enough for the people at the neighboring county fair probably heard him. The steer was face to face with a car and noise heading at him at like 40 mph and next I knew he was gone and I was holding nothing but air and he was over checking out the rides at the Carnival.

Not sure if it was the Car, my weak grip or him being a Limmi :D

I always have the radio going in the barn. I even thought about purchasing a Ferris Wheel! :D At our county show the Ferris Wheel is usually located right next to the livestock barn and calves have to walk facing the lights and noise coming off of that thing!

Latest posts