What do you call your cattle market facility ?

Help Support CattleToday:

What do they call markets where you are ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JW IN VA

Reaction score
I hear different names for them.
Here, in, western Va, most all call them stockyards.

Different names and pronunciation for a lot of things across this great nation. One other example is how a female sheep is pronounced in my area. Most places pronounce E W E as y-o-u. Here, it's Y-O. Just like "YO, Adrian" :unsure: :unsure:

I wonder if it's a regional thing? Ohio and we call it a sale barn, but I do know of a few that are specifically named "___ Stockyards".

I am in the same general area as @JW IN VA . Most of the places that sell livestock have "stockyard" in their name.... often I will say something like "are you going in to the sale today"..... meaning going to the stockyard. Or you going to the auction.... but often an auction is referring to an auction of say farm equipment and such. But I have a friend that calls "estate sales", auctions that they go to on Saturdays.... because there are auctioneers selling there.

A male sheep is a ram, and a male goat is a buck.... but many in this area call a male sheep a "buck sheep"..... and I have heard the ewe / "yo" term here in Va yet in Ct it was always ewe.....
For years I always heard baling strings.... but the old timers down here in Va., say "tar strings".... because the old baling strings years ago had a tar type substance which made them less attractive to rodents chewing on them....

In my area of Ky, a lot refer to it as the stock pen. That's what all the old timers called it when I was growing up, and I still hear that a lot. That isn't in the official name of any that I know of. Stockyard or Livestock Market is usually in the official name.

@callmefence that's pretty much like here. You are going to the sale.... don't even say cow sale.
Monday is Hollins-Roanoke,
Tuesday is Staunton Union
Wednesday is Shenandoah valley (or Mike Ritchies)
Thursday is Rochingham or Harrisonburg
Friday is Staunton Union
Saturday is Shenandoah Valley or Harrisonburg.

There are also a few others, Saturday is Spring Lake, Lynchburg area, Wednesday is Christiansburg, Saturday is Charlottesville which is very small and not much anymore...Plus some more north and south of here....
There used to be 2 different places in Staunton but Staunton Union (Friday sale) bought out the other one that was on Tuesday. The 2 in Harrisonburg have been separate and the Saturday one catered to more of the "weekend farmers", the new owner a couple years ago expanded and started offering some special sales on Wednesdays, and has just baby calves and cull/pound cows on Wednesdays. They do a once a month bred cow sale and a once a month dairy sale with milking cattle for replacements. The Thursday sale catered to more of the beef cattle up there but also had a big dairy component.

It's stockyards here, but like fence says it's usually just referred to as the town name depending on the day.
Monday Lexington and Stanford
Tuesday Lexington and Maysville
Wednesday Mt. Sterling
Thursday Paris and Stanford
Friday Richmond and Maysville
Saturday Lee City and Flemingsburg

As far as ewe/yo I've heard both, mostly some of the oldtimers called them yos, they called male sheep and goats both bucks. Nowadays with most folks that have sheep they are relatively new to it because most got out of the business years ago, and they call them ewes and rams.

Cow sale...
I'm going to the cow sale.
You don't have to say what one. Every one knows by the day of the week.
Monday is mason
Tuesday is Hamilton
Wednesday is Lampasas
Thursday is San Saba
Friday is Cameron
Saturday is gatesville.
Here it's:
Monday: Mayberry
Tuesday: Hooterville
Wednesday: Smallville
Thursday: Mt. Pilot
Friday: Bedrock.
Saturday: Pottersville.

I tell the wife I am going to the sale.
Wednesday is Vale
Thursday in La Grand
There are others but they are farther away then I am going to buy or sell cows.