What do you call them?

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning":2e9e77l9 said:
dun":2e9e77l9 said:
Very thin slices of potato (usually) deep fried. In the US they're chips the Brits call them crisps, what are they called in other countrys?
In my country they call them fried potatoes.
Never have seen a bag of Lays fried potatos

dun":3bfj7jk8 said:
MistyMorning":3bfj7jk8 said:
dun":3bfj7jk8 said:
Very thin slices of potato (usually) deep fried. In the US they're chips the Brits call them crisps, what are they called in other countrys?
In my country they call them fried potatoes.
Never have seen a bag of Lays fried potatos
I thought you were yakking about the homemade kind.

Now lets get this right.....
chips.jpg
these are CHIPS...the sort you get from the chip (Fish) shop . known as the chippy. and come wrapped in paper. with a sprinkling of salt and vinegar if you want. and can be dipped in sauce (tomato or brown) Fish shop sells obviously fish, pies and saveloys.
chrisps.jpg
these are CHRISPS. these come in bags and are flavoured or ready salted (plain)

then there are wedges.
wedges.jpg
often had with steak or with a dip sauce.
hope this has cleared it up for you. During WW11 the humble Fish and Chips dinner was never on ration, to keep up the moral of the people.

chrisy":yqhdt638 said:
chips.jpg
these are CHIPS...the sort you get from the chip (Fish) shop . known as the chippy. and come wrapped in paper. with a sprinkling of salt and vinegar if you want. and can be dipped in sauce (tomato or brown) Fish shop sells obviously fish, pies and saveloys.
chrisps.jpg

then there are wedges.
wedges.jpg
hope this has cleared it up for you. During WW11 the humble Fish and Chips dinner was never on ration, to keep up the moral of the people.

I'm sorry. You must not be as informed as the grammatically speaking southerners.

The first picture is of french fries. No the French did not invent them, but they are a frenched cut of potato. They are found at Burger King and McDonald's.

The second picture is of a bag of chips. Evey convience store has them because they are somewhere on the food pyramid. I think it's called grease(right next to dessert).

The third is potato wedges, sometimes called "tater wedges", or potato babies, or (when slightly larger) potato logs.

It'a s good thing we got southerners to correct all this misinformation. Now I'm hungry. I'm going to get a bloney samich and put some chips on it. :banana:

MMMMMmmm=blongny and chips on white bread with Mericle Whip..Fry that in some margerine!!

brandonm_13":39gf0ho5 said:
chrisy":39gf0ho5 said:
chips.jpg
chrisps.jpg

then there are wedges.
wedges.jpg

I'm sorry. You must not be as informed as the grammatically speaking southerners.

The first picture is of french fries. No the French did not invent them, but they are a frenched cut of potato. They are found at Burger King and McDonald's. Ah! contraire but it is said they did....but NO NO NO NO..these CHIPS are big and fat and juicy not thin and crispy like BK & McDs.

The second picture is of a bag of chips. Evey convience store has them because they are somewhere on the food pyramid. I think it's called grease(right next to dessert).as I said CHRISPS.

The third is potato wedges, sometimes called "tater wedges", or potato babies, or (when slightly larger) potato logs. I will go along with that.

It'a s good thing we got southerners to correct all this misinformation. Now I'm hungry. I'm going to get a bloney samich and put some chips on it. :banana:

What is a *saveloy*? :help: :???:
Now were gonna have a whole new discussion :banana:

An English style hot dog!! Who'da thunk it! If I was in England I'd try one~~once..

peg4x4":3hc3ojof said:
An English style hot dog!! Who'da thunk it! If I was in England I'd try one~~once..
All it would need is a stick and the battered ones would be corndogs

Well, jumping back to potatoes, anybody have a place where they can still get real, honest to goodness, potato logs? You know, cooked potatoes cut into wedges, battered and fried?
We've found one gas station in the middle of nowhere that we pass on the way to the beach that has them with their fried chicken. It is a marvelous heart-attack of a treat!

yeah,but corn is wheat in England and wheat is barley and maze is corn~**! I think<~**>~* Crissy !! How does that go??

Not quite sure, Maize is corn before it has matured/ Maize I think is sweetcorn and once the corn has matured can be made into cornflakes and cereals, Barley is Barley I think all over the world over used in beer and whiskey/bread and biscuits/cookies, Wheat is a kind of grass used for flour. think I have it right.

farmwriter":11ztvvqa said:
Well, jumping back to potatoes, anybody have a place where they can still get real, honest to goodness, potato logs? You know, cooked potatoes cut into wedges, battered and fried?
We've found one gas station in the middle of nowhere that we pass on the way to the beach that has them with their fried chicken. It is a marvelous heart-attack of a treat!

Looks like you're talking about, what is known out here, as Jo-Jo's. Served at most gas station deli's and for 25 cents you add a couple of ranch dressing to dip them in. When I buy an order of Jo-Jo's with two ranch dips, they go with the ever famous "god I hope is cooked completely" fried chicken, usually the breast. At the time it's a great meal, but I still wonder why it is an hour later I feel sluggish with a slightly upset stomach. :D

Alan

Alan":3mip7nz5 said:
farmwriter":3mip7nz5 said:

Looks like you're talking about, what is known out here, as Jo-Jo's. Served at most gas station deli's and for 25 cents you add a couple of ranch dressing to dip them in. When I buy an order of Jo-Jo's with two ranch dips, they go with the ever famous "god I hope is cooked completely" fried chicken, usually the breast. At the time it's a great meal, but I still wonder why it is an hour later I feel sluggish with a slightly upset stomach. :D

Alan
Used to be a little greasy spoon in Blyn, WA (the only thing there at the time) that called them jo-jos. Only place I'ld ever heard them called that