What do you all think of these corn futures?

Help Support CattleToday:

jasonleonard

Reaction score
I just saw where corn for fall delivery has fallen down towards $5 a bushel.
If the corn belt gets even moderately good weather through the summer they say we could be in the $4 a bushel range.
I know there are grain farmers on these boards that won't find this amusing, but for cow- calf guys and producers with a lot of stockers turned out on grass, this is welcome news. Should translate to great feeder prices this coming fall and winter.

I only raise 319 acres of corn but would not be a happy camper if that did happen I have already lost over 40 acres of corn from flooding. I raise mostly beans and wheat.

I have just started to learn more about these corns so that I can sow them and start growing them. Until now I too was growing wheat only with good sales and profit as well.

Deepsouth":73m0m8if said:
Not to mention cheaper prices across the board at the grocery store.
I wouldn't bet the farm on that. Things go up at the drop of a hat but don't come back down nearly as easy.

jasonleonard":3guynhcr said:
I just saw where corn for fall delivery has fallen down towards $5 a bushel.
If the corn belt gets even moderately good weather through the summer they say we could be in the $4 a bushel range.
I know there are grain farmers on these boards that won't find this amusing, but for cow- calf guys and producers with a lot of stockers turned out on grass, this is welcome news. Should translate to great feeder prices this coming fall and winter.
I hope it gets down to $4 corn, weed out some of these johnny come latelys, and get fert, land, and seed back to it's non inflated price.
Seems to me back in the 90's when grain was cheap everything seemed easier, no droughts, no floods, nothing but cheap dirt, and cheap grain. Sure i'm making more money now, but i'm also paying 2x on inputs, and can't afford to feed steers anymore.

greybeard":e76drgzq said:
Deepsouth":e76drgzq said:
Not to mention cheaper prices across the board at the grocery store.
I wouldn't bet the farm on that. Things go up at the drop of a hat but don't come back down nearly as easy.

Unless price of diesel drops with the price of corn along with other costs of inflation, I don't think that the price of food is going to drop all the much.

$4 corn now is going to be a whole lot harder to swallow for farmers than it would have been 4 years ago. It would shake more than a few come lately's out I'm afraid.

I don't understand all the "futures" stuff. We watch an ag show on FOX early every morning. Today, they had a guy that said all the futures guys were not thinking straight on corn this year, since many midwest areas had so much rain that seeded corn was drowned out; that predictions were not accurate and there would be a big wake-up call soon. We don't do crops. Just cattle.

Kathie in Thorp":2utp0a5v said:
I don't understand all the "futures" stuff. We watch an ag show on FOX early every morning. Today, they had a guy that said all the futures guys were not thinking straight on corn this year, since many midwest areas had so much rain that seeded corn was drowned out; that predictions were not accurate and there would be a big wake-up call soon. We don't do crops. Just cattle.

Crop report last week showed more corn planted than expected. Don't know what the condition of it is though. Corn down here is a drop in the bucket compared to the midwest but crop is made and just drying out now. Harvest will start around the first of August after they finish the milo harvest. I'm hearing $4.00 to $4.50 per bushel Well down from the $7.80 I was quoted a few weeks ago for bulk corn delivered. This would also probably be close to the price your feed companies are paying for their corn. Bought a couple of bags last week and paid $9.90 a bag for it retail.

TexasBred":1hfgz6ul said:
Kathie in Thorp":1hfgz6ul said:

Crop report last week showed more corn planted than expected. Don't know what the condition of it is though. Corn down here is a drop in the bucket compared to the midwest but crop is made and just drying out now. Harvest will start around the first of August after they finish the milo harvest. I'm hearing $4.00 to $4.50 per bushel Well down from the $7.80 I was quoted a few weeks ago for bulk corn delivered. This would also probably be close to the price your feed companies are paying for their corn. Bought a couple of bags last week and paid $9.90 a bag for it retail.

TB, the drowned corn was up north, mid-west. I think both late-planted AND too wet.

Kathie in Thorp":258xmf1v said:
TB, the drowned corn was up north, mid-west. I think both late-planted AND too wet.

I understand Kathie and the flooding was pretty severe but when you compare the flooded area to corn acreage as a whole it is not a huge amount. (Except to the poor farmer who was flooded out)

Latest posts