What do i do??

Help Support CattleToday:

Missy

Reaction score
OK first off i have never shown cattle,never been interested :D
I breed and compete with horses though so i do have a fair idea on presentation etc.
I have some family friends(boys age 13 and 10) who would love to come out and pick some calves to show at our local show in April.
The calves are mixed breeds,( raise them on foster cows) so their classes are just the ones for unregistered cattle and the junior handler classes...
Now what do i have to do? Besides the obvious of teaching them to lead,stand etc?
How do i "condition" them?
How do i prep them?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
P.S,we aren't out there to conquer the world :) The boys just wanna have some fun but we don't want to look like fools either ;-)

work with them everyday. tie them up, lead them, brush them, you know the basics. make sure they're getting fed anywhere between 2-3% of their bodt weight in feed. give them rough stemy hay to keep their stomach going. thats about it unless you want to know what all you need for showing and grooming.

Wow, don't know where to start.
You need, rope halters, show halters, show sticks, clippers.
Are there any shows PRIOR to the one they plan on going to??? You really need to SEE a show. Beef cattle are shown differently than dairy or horses.
Where are you located? Warm enough weather to shave them bald? that would be the easiest thing to do for the clip job, since you don't know how to clip them.

Thanks.
OK i have seen quite a few cattle shows,they always have them going in while we are competing on the horses,but i have never taken much notice. I think there is one before so will go and check it out.
I don't think it will be warm enough to leave them bald,unless we can rug them like i do the horses haha!No seriously, like i said it is just a couple or unregsitered classes. I have been told to clip the tail and puff up the bottom? Also to make the white really stand out by using chalk/powder etc!
Thanks for the tips :D

just find a show and go to it. ask a few people there they can show you how to do it or might know someone who can come out and help you do it.

Latest posts