what did you lose in the Big Freeze?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Looks like I lost a lemon and orange tree. Both grafts froze and split and everything above the grafts are dead and brittle. Already jerked them up and on the burn pile.
A Queen Palm that I and brother dug up from his place on Bolivar Peninsula is dead and rotting already, tho hear it 'may' come back so I'll leave it for now.
The China Doll plant that was originally a potted plant from my Dad's funeral in 2007 hasn't leafed out yet and I doubt it is going to come back.
My wife's 'prized' hibiscus hasn't come back yet, and neither has her 2 dwarf oleanders (no big loss there IMO) and her Mimosa that she had transplanted from her Mother's place about 5 years ago appears to be dead too.
A live but partially doty red oak froze and split and it fell just a few days ago. It was huge.

The roses seem to have done ok and are now blooming as is the scuppenong grape vine.

(The damn Chinese Tallow and yaupon weren't phased in the least) :(

The main part of my Crepe Myrtles are toast, but I did notice there are sprouts coming up. The Indian Hawthorne has also gone belly up. Just waiting on the landscaper to show up and tell me what size his check is going to be. Lots of stuff knocked back but it looks like they are coming back.

Looks like I lost a lemon and orange tree. Both grafts froze and split and everything above the grafts are dead and brittle. Already jerked them up and on the burn pile.
A Queen Palm that I and brother dug up from his place on Bolivar Peninsula is dead and rotting already, tho hear it 'may' come back so I'll leave it for now.
The China Doll plant that was originally a potted plant from my Dad's funeral in 2007 hasn't leafed out yet and I doubt it is going to come back.
My wife's 'prized' hibiscus hasn't come back yet, and neither has her 2 dwarf oleanders (no big loss there IMO) and her Mimosa that she had transplanted from her Mother's place about 5 years ago appears to be dead too.
A live but partially doty red oak froze and split and it fell just a few days ago. It was huge.

The roses seem to have done ok and are now blooming as is the scuppenong grape vine.

(The damn Chinese Tallow and yaupon weren't phased in the least) :(
Noticed quite a few oaks dead in the tops.
Wife's hummingbird bushes are toast, I don't know the real name. Tangerine tree is gone fig trees don't look real healthy.
Apples and chestnut looks to faired okay. Chinquapins are okay.
Haven't found the first hurt Chinese tallow either.

I've got a Chinese tallow that's not happy...only reason it hasn't had a come to meeting with a saw years ago is it does/did provide afternoon shade for the back yard. An American Elm in the front yard has only a scatter of leaves... we had bought one of those live Christmas trees in a gallon pot 7 years ago. Planted it near that Chinese Tallow to take its place. Some sort of Spruce I think, DEAD. No life at all. Cant make sense of that one. A Chinaberry at the shop is pretty much toast too. Thought I lost the Hawthorn but a couple weeks ago when I went to clean them up the base of plants had sprouts. I cut them back and they are alive. Lost all of the potted plants but they needed repotting again so I hadn't planned on trying to save them. St. Augustine has made a comeback just fine...but will have to start watering since it won't rain.

Well, I lost my virginity, several times (I wake in a brand new world everyday). Too darn cold to go outside, so we chased each other around the house. She's getting slow in her old age.

GB, I thought you hated trees anyway.

The main part of my Crepe Myrtles are toast, but I did notice there are sprouts coming up. The Indian Hawthorne has also gone belly up. Just waiting on the landscaper to show up and tell me what size his check is going to be. Lots of stuff knocked back but it looks like they are coming back.
You can't kill Crepe Myrtles trust me I have tried for years they will be back

My eight year old Rosemary bush is dead. Many of the evergreens in my area NW of Ft Worth are dead. The freeze was really hard on nearly every pine tree in the Springtown park and in peoples yards.

"
My eight year old Rosemary bush is dead. Many of the evergreens in my area NW of Ft Worth are dead. The freeze was really hard on nearly every pine tree in the Springtown park and in peoples yards.
"Walking W". my wife's Rosemary bush is the only thing around our place killed as well. Tickled me to death.

I would actually like to hear if there are lower bug numbers as the year moves ahead.
So would I. I've always heard people say that a a frigid winter cuts down on the bug population, but I never really saw much difference following a mild or frigid winter.

I am amazed at all the beautiful plants, trees and flowers you people have down in Texas and other areas of the south.
On top of that you can have floppy ear calves. Sometimes I think geography keeps life from being fair! Enjoy what you have.....

I'm curious as to how all your oats turned out that you all were concerned about... did they make it and recover, or did it kill em dead?

Here, the freeze didn't affect the June bug population or the fire ants.
I have more fire ant mounds this spring than ever before.
I've been shredding the last couple of days and we have a bumper crop of fire ants ourselves. I've only seen a handful of June bugs but that could change tomorrow.

Latest posts