What cuts do you prefer when processing your beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

I remember as a kid, my mom worked and sister & I would prep stuff for supper for her. We used to take a round steak and cover it with flour and salt & pepper. Then pound the ever loving out of it with the edge of a small plate. That would be steak and gravy meal.
My grandmother had a wooden mallet like with cut out points on it, she'd pound on the round steaks with it.
My wife sears them in a pan and then sets them to cook in a crockpot, does the same for roasts. We like those kinds of meals, they are ok to leave for a while cooking while we're out working then can come in and it's ready.
We'll eat on a roast for a time or two, and she'll fix vegetable soup and put the rest in it.

My grandmother had a wooden mallet like with cut out points on it, she'd pound on the round steaks with it.
My wife sears them in a pan and then sets them to cook in a crockpot, does the same for roasts. We like those kinds of meals, they are ok to leave for a while cooking while we're out working then can come in and it's ready.
We'll eat on a roast for a time or two, and she'll fix vegetable soup and put the rest in it.
That reminds me of a time we were helping friends gather and work cattle. This was before crock pots or slow cookers. They were avid hunters and had either mountain goat or mountain sheep that they had harvested. She wanted us to taste it, so she put a roast in the oven. Well, as everyone knows, the work we were doing took longer. When we went in to eat, the roast was a little dried up thing in the roaster. I think we may have ended up eating peanut butter sandwiches!! She was a good cook, but that kind of meat doesn't contain much fat. I can still see that roast when she took the lid off the roaster. We were both shocked!! 😃

One nice thing about roasts is you can always turn them into stakes. Or burger. Or even sausage or jerky if you like. If you have a roast you have options!
My buddy smoked a 2lb roast and had it kinda like pulled pork. That was a new way for me. Was pretty dang good. We usually think of it as a crock pot meat.

A friend of mine opened a butcher shop last year. I've been helping out with maintenance and electrical work from time to time. The whole process is really interesting to me. It's amazing to me how fast a good butcher can go through a cow or hog. I had a few steers that had issues at sale time this year so he fed them out for me. Best steaks I've had yet. We also bought a hog he raised and it's definitely the best pork we've eaten.

I sent mine tonight to the processor. My friend, that was hauling him asked me, "Are you sure you have enough freezer space?" My guess is he will hang between 800-850lb. He has been on corn (Thanks Jeanne) for about 4 1/2 months. I will let you know how he turns out.

My friend (mentioned above) has transitioned to selling Jersey Freezer Beef. He says he makes a lot more money on them than his cow-calf side. He probably has 50-70 Jersey Steers he is feeding right now.

I sent mine tonight to the processor. My friend, that was hauling him asked me, "Are you sure you have enough freezer space?" My guess is he will hang between 800-850lb. He has been on corn (Thanks Jeanne) for about 4 1/2 months. I will let you know how he turns out.

My friend (mentioned above) has transitioned to selling Jersey Freezer Beef. He says he makes a lot more money on them than his cow-calf side. He probably has 50-70 Jersey Steers he is feeding right now.
How old

The later you start them, the more corn they will eat, if you are feeding % of BW.
If you started at 10-12 months old, and feed 4.5 months, it wouldn't consume as many pounds of corn. Granted, you won't have an 850# HCW, BUT, a 750# carcass is plenty big enough. And, you should have a more tender carcass (maybe a little?)

So many options with leftovers from a roast. We like roast beef quesadillas, baked potatoes topped with diced/shredded roast and gravy in addition to soups,stew, stir fry , sandwiches.

Time to get a roast out to unthaw after this post.
Add some vegs, about 2-3 cans of stewed tomatoes and make a big pot of soup..

Latest posts