What cross with a char bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

hersh

Reaction score
I have reg char and am wanting to get some cheaper cows to run with them for straight beef. What breeds would work with a char bull? I have been greatly introduced to char breeding issues... so is there a good combo for commercial beef using a char bull? This bull has frame score of 7, 5.5 ce, 0.2 bwt, wwt 19, ywt 30, milk 20. His bwt was 89#. What would you run with him for commercial grade?

hersh":3n4w01fk said:
Btw, is angus or herf out of the question?

That char bull on some mature angus cows make a great cross. They sell pretty well here at the feeder calf sale. I've not seen many crossed on herfs in these parts.

You can generally buy Hereford cows in KY cheaper than you can Angus or BWF, so that may be one option.
If you will continue to sell some registered bulls, buy cows like your customers have. If they use bwf or Angus then buy that breed and show them what your bulls can do. This is an excellent marketing tool.

CSM

The angus/char is good around here from what I have heard. My main concern is using a big bull on a smaller cow, breaking the cows down and throwing a big calf. I thought the main angus/char cross was with angus bull. So as long as I dont use angus heifers should I be ok?

Around here alot of people have Char. cows and use a Red Limi bull on them, to get yellow calves. I don' t no why it wouldn't work the other way, Char bull on Limi cows.

I don't know how popular Gelbvieh are in other parts of the country but around here they are quite common. The main cross we shoot for is a Gelb/Char. Mostly yellow calves that grow like weeds.

Stick with black angus cows b/c they are readily available. Nothing wrong with herfs either. Both smokies and buckskin calves will bring you a good price. You're probably wise not to use heifers.