What could be wrong?

Help Support CattleToday:

A&Mfarms

Reaction score
Our bull is a 4yr old Blk Limo. He is with about 55 cows and has been doing a good job. Yesterday he wasn't with the herd and we found him alone lying down in the corner of the pasture. I made him get up and he appeared fine except the ground where he was laying was damp and fluid was coming out of him like he was peeing, however, it was just a small stream. He has a constant drip. What could be wrong? Today he was back with the cows but still dripping so I penned him in the barn. No swelling, no sign of distress, and otherwise healthy. Thanks for your Help.

That doesn't sound good. Perhaps an infection of some kind? I wonder if an injury could cause that. Sounds like it's worth a vet visit, if that's an option.

I called the vet and he was out, but is suppose to call me back. Someone told me it could be a kidney infection? Is that possible? Thanks

A&Mfarms":wug6mfd2 said:
I called the vet and he was out, but is suppose to call me back. Someone told me it could be a kidney infection? Is that possible? Thanks

It is possible and it can get serious.

A&Mfarms":1vvkiz01 said:
Our bull is a 4yr old Blk Limo. He is with about 55 cows and has been doing a good job. Yesterday he wasn't with the herd and we found him alone lying down in the corner of the pasture. I made him get up and he appeared fine except the ground where he was laying was damp and fluid was coming out of him like he was peeing, however, it was just a small stream. He has a constant drip. What could be wrong? Today he was back with the cows but still dripping so I penned him in the barn. No swelling, no sign of distress, and otherwise healthy. Thanks for your Help.

No guarantees that I'm right, but I'm thinking a stone in the urethra...if he totally blocks, he's either going to urinate like a female from having his penis cut off, or die. See a vet ASAP.

Thanks for the help. Vicky was right. The vet palpated the bladder and said it was about the size of a watermelon. He also had a fever (103). The vet give him a antibiotic that doesn't have a withdrawal time, and said if He's still dripping by Monday to sell him. Thanks again at least maybe I'll get slaughter price for him.

got to love a vet that says "give him a shot of this antibiotic and haul him to the sale barn" In other words don't drag me away from my money making doggies and kitties again.

I'd call another vet asap. The urethra can be cathetered to remove the blockage. He won't sell well which will put a bad rep on you. I would have him butchered possibly.

Too late now, I sent him to the sale yesterday as a kill bull. Martin meats bought him and he's probably hamburger today. He brought 59.00 which was what I figured. The vet I sent him to was the best large animal vet in the area. He probably handles more horses and cows than the others combined. We really took a hit since we had only had him 9 months but, such is life. :( [/code]

The vet palpated the bladder and said it was about the size of a watermelon. He also had a fever (103). The vet give him a antibiotic that doesn't have a withdrawal time, and said if He's still dripping by Monday to sell him.

Someone explain that to me.

A stone in the urethra is going to be helped by antibiotic HOW? Antibiotics reduce the severity of infection when used against sensitive bacteria... correct me if I'm wrong but that sure doesn't sound like what you're dealing with.

Excede/Excenel/Naxcel are really the only ones with a short enough withdrawal time to use. Hope you didn't use anything like Penn or LA200.

milkmaid":26m0ipwb said:
The vet palpated the bladder and said it was about the size of a watermelon. He also had a fever (103). The vet give him a antibiotic that doesn't have a withdrawal time, and said if He's still dripping by Monday to sell him.

Someone explain that to me.

A stone in the urethra is going to be helped by antibiotic HOW? Antibiotics reduce the severity of infection when used against sensitive bacteria... correct me if I'm wrong but that sure doesn't sound like what you're dealing with.

Excede/Excenel/Naxcel are really the only ones with a short enough withdrawal time to use. Hope you didn't use anything like Penn or LA200.

Heres my thoughts. The antibiotic was to treat a bladder infection causing the fever. Or maybe just to make the owner feel better. :lol: Anyway, unless I am missing something it sure wasnt going to help a stone go away. Maybe the vet thought something else could be causing the blockage, who knows. :lol:

3MR has it right the Excenel was to help the fever/infection. The vet thought it was a stone right away and felt like I would be lucky if he didn't totally block before the sale. There was an outside chance there was swelling due to infection which the antibiotic could help, but it did not. Actually the shot was probably more for me than the bull so I felt like there was a "chance".

Is there not some sort of treatment for a stone? Could they not surgically remove it somehow? I've never seen one before, just wondering why they didn't at least try something?

I ask the vet about removing the stones and he said he could operate but it would render the bull sterile. He said it was purely a salvage operation to keep the bull alive, but he could never breed again. Has anyone else ever encountered this? Thanks

I still don't understand, why would operating on his bladder cause him to become sterile? I know all that's connected but he wouldn't be operating on that....

Latest posts