What color?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brad B

Reaction score
I have 20 PB Angus cows bred to a Polled Hereford bull. The calves should start dropping any day now. Will all the calves be Black Baldy's or will some be red?

Thanks,
Brad

Brad B":1hbb0h93 said:
I have 20 PB Angus cows bred to a Polled Hereford bull. The calves should start dropping any day now. Will all the calves be Black Baldy's or will some be red?

Thanks,
Brad

There is a possibility of some dark red calves, but in my opinion most should be black baldies. Good luck!

Brad B":ohtg5kmg said:

Thanks,
Brad

They should be mostly, if not all, black baldies.

Out of 200 angus we bred to a Hereford, we got 138 black calves, 58 Baldies, 3 herefords, and 1 really pretty red, which baffeled us. Just a quincidence (sp) I'm sure but all 4 colored calves were bulls.

Thanks for the fast replies. I'm hoping to get some white faced heifers to keep. I guess the color doesn't matter so much, since they will all be the same cross, but the "black baldy" color always comes in handy at the stockyard.

Brad

Okay, now for a change in the question. Does the sex of the breeding animals play a role in the color of the offspring? i.e. Will a Angus Bull X Hereford Cow throw more black baldy's than a Hereford Bull X Angus Cow? Is the color trait sex linked?

Brad

la4angus":388b8zha said:
Brad B":388b8zha said:

Thanks,
Brad

They should be mostly, if not all, black baldies.

As usual La4 you are correct unless the Angus has a red recessive gene and you would need txag here, on what percentage could be red.

If the angus has a red gene there will be a 50% chance of a red calf from that animal. Come on CC don't you remember biology?

Brad B":2kdhm053 said:
Okay, now for a change in the question. Does the sex of the breeding animals play a role in the color of the offspring? i.e. Will a Angus Bull X Hereford Cow throw more black baldy's than a Hereford Bull X Angus Cow? Is the color trait sex linked?

Brad
The color should come from the genes. Sex shouldn't play any important role in the color.
I agree with Campground that txag would know more about this than I and definitely can explain it better than I can.

Jake":irli6xfv said:
If the angus has a red gene there will be a 50% chance of a red calf from that animal. Come on CC don't you remember biology?

Not really Jake it was over thirty years ago. I am starting to have senior moments. Thats why we need smart educated young ranchers to help us old men.

Campground Cattle":1szo8yb1 said:
I am starting to have senior moments. Thats why we need smart educated young ranchers to help us old men.

I dunno if I can help you there... I'll have to go find one of them guys for myself :lol:

Jake":kcz2v4hj said:
Campground Cattle":kcz2v4hj said:
I am starting to have senior moments. Thats why we need smart educated young ranchers to help us old men.

I dunno if I can help you there... I'll have to go find one of them guys for myself :lol:

Heck I thought that was Maw and Paw were paying for so you could help us simply old cattlemen

Number 5 showed me the first one would be a black baldy today. Weigh's about 70 lbs. Smaller than I thought the crossed calves would be. Nice little heifer calf. Now have to start thinking about what to cross the baldy's with. Decisions, decisions. Thinking maybe black Semi's??? Any suggestions.

Good idea! Those sure are some nice cattle. I have considered those too. I may go that route. At any rate, got nearly two years to decide.

Brad

Latest posts