What color?

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
It seems to me that the color of your cows is like marketing. The product is the same, the package is different. How does this effect your cows if at all. I've heard that white cows don't do as well here in Texas because of the sun and skin problems. I've also heard that black bulls tire out easily (not being able to service the cows) for the same reason. Darker colors absorbing heat. I don't know. I don't have any experience with this. School me.

Walt

black absorbs heat. black cows and bulls tend to lounge in the shade and pond during the heat of the day and make it up by working the night shift.

white cows tend to have pink skin and any pinked skin cow can get sunburnt easily. teats and noses tend to get sunburned the most.

Bos indicus cattle tend to handle heat better b/c they originated in a hot climate. they have loose skin which dissipates heat better b/c there is more surface area and they have the ability to "sweat", unlike Bos taurus that pant like a dog or cat. Bos indicus cattle also have dark pigmented skin so they dont burn easily and are able to spend hours out in the sun. Lots of breeds have some Bos indicus blood in them and inherit some of these traits.

generally speaking, red and gray cattle tend to be more reflective and absorb less heat.

I will walk out on a tree limb here.I am willing to bet you run a dark red calf and a solid black calf through the ring.The red will bring a better price.That has been my experience taking our calves to Cuero.The brahmas I have are black and white speckle.They love the heat,out in the pasture grazing in the heat of the day.But I seen some friends black brangus belly deep in the pond 2PM too.But my mom's santa gert x beefmaster cows under the shade tree also on those hot summer days.Color still a bit of personal choice to me.I will be buying my first Red Brahmas this year.Going Red or going into the Red.Now thats another topic.

Latest posts