what color will they be?

Help Support CattleToday:

mccabe226

Reaction score
im planning on getting some angus x hereford cows and was going to put a full blood limi on them, what color would the calves be? and if i use a horned hereford could i use a horned limi, or would most of the calves be horned then?

If you used real Limi's, you'll have 75%-100% black baldies out of the angus-hereford cross(assuming you mean black angus). If the bull is herterozygous black, 1/4th of them will be red baldies. With 100% black(now hetero black), you should have 75% of those as black and 25% red. If you had a hetero black angus, the 25% that came out red will produce all red calves, and out of the 75% that came out black, 3/4 of them should be black and the other red.(I'm getting confused. I think those numbers are right).

I'm too tired to think about horns. Someone else can fil l that in.

Herf x Angus = 100% blk/bwf (all carry red gene)

HA x fullblood (red) Limi = 50:50 blk:red with most of them having some white on face

on the horn deal

If the herf bull is horned bred to Angus cows all calves will be polled, but carry horn gene.
If bred to horned Limi 50:50 horned:polled

If herf bull is hetro polled=all calves polled, but 50% carry horn gene
if bred to horned Limi 25:75 horned:polled

If herf bull is homo polled=all calves homo polled
if bred to horned Limi all calves polled, but all carry horn gene

This is assuming the law of averages and that the cattle are all "clean". You could have an "angus" cow with the red gene or horn gene and that would skew the averages

If you are using a fullblood (red) Limi, and your cows are F1s (heterozygous black); then you should expect 50% red and 50% black.

Report this postReply with quoteRe: what color will they be?
by brandonm_13 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:27 pm

If you used real Limi's, you'll have 75%-100% black baldies out of the angus-hereford cross(assuming you mean black angus).

Im pretty sure you are quite confused or mistaken. Im assuming you are referring to real Limis as red like some other people on here? ( Even though NALF recognizes them all as real Limis ) How do you figure he will get 75-100% black out of a red Limi and all hetrozygous black cows? I am not clear on your definition of a real Limi. Also if he uses a hetrozygous black Limi on hetrozygous black cows its a coin toss on the number of red and blacks. I have bred two hetro blacks many times and got red calves. On the other hand if he uses a homo black and homo polled Limi bull on the Angus x Herford cows all calves will be black and polled and several will probably have white faces.

Circle H Ranch

Latest posts